Email Alert Frustration

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi. I am unable to get email alerts from my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I have recently changed my ISP and now no longer able to use their SMTP server, and my new ISP is just a fibre broadband service. So, I went back to using my Gmail account and when I input the details (correctly) and hit test, it fails immediately. It's frustrating as it does not say at what part of the process it has failed. I have also tried using my Yahoo account and get the same failed result.

Can anyone suggest a workaround or an alternative free SMTP server that does actually work.

Just another thought on the matter, is it possible to use my Synology NAS as a mail server to send alerts, although I have absolutely no idea what details I would put in the camera

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've never used app passwords before, but I've gone through the process and generated a 16 character password for my ip camera. On the SMTP settings I have completed the Gmail SMTP settings, put my user name and the new 16 character password in, along with the other credentials; sender, authentication, receiver, and it still fails when I test it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Try microsofts hotmail or .live.com or Outlook whatever they call it today. I have Blue Iris sending me email alerts. had trouble after several attempts at Goog. So i had my old hotmail addy, tried that and it wasnt as fussy. thunderbird might be less fussy as well.

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all for your answers and suggestions. I will try these later this evening and hopefully will get some success.

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The settings were...

SMTP: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Auth: SSL

and with my usual log-in credentials.

I have also tried Port 587 with TLS but with no luck.

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
... and now it doesn't work. Microsoft/Outlook keeps blocking my account as it thinks there is suspicious activity going on. Even though I have unblocked my account for the time being, a test email then fails. I'm going to have to look for another alternative SMTP provider. :confused:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think all email providers are starting to lock down their systems from emails auto-generated by a device.

There must be code in the way it sends that they know a person didn't type it.

It is forcing people to go to APIs instead to get this information. That can be done easier with something like Blue Iris, but someone trying to send notices directly from a camera can't do that.

nsguy902

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I am unable to get email alerts from my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I have recently changed my ISP and now no longer able to use their SMTP server, and my new ISP is just a fibre broadband service. So, I went back to using my Gmail account and when I input the details (correctly) and hit test, it fails immediately. It's frustrating as it does not say at what part of the process it has failed. I have also tried using my Yahoo account and get the same failed result.

Can anyone suggest a workaround or an alternative free SMTP server that does actually work.

Just another thought on the matter, is it possible to use my Synology NAS as a mail server to send alerts, although I have absolutely no idea what details I would put in the camera
Mine stopped working also. I use the gdmss app and apply notifications from there. Don't know why but it works lol