Email not working

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK so everything was working fine and all the HIK cameras were sending email pictures. Then I got an HIK NVR which works fine
but shortly after my site host was taken over and upgraded the servers and now email does not work and I tried every combination
of ports usernames and server name etc. It comes up with Test Failed DNS error.
Any ideas what went wrong ?

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what email provider? were you using a local smtp server?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's the email sever on my website which is an SMTP server I believe. Thunderbird email client connects just fine
which is doing pretty much the same thing as a camera

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hmm what port are you using 587? dns on the same on your computer as well as the devices? just wondering if you are using a local provider dns or something like open dns? I have had weird dns issues using providers dns addresses in the past where they just stop working correctly.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just bought a cheap Tenvis IP camera and tested the email sending with a Gmail account and it works fine once I turned off the "less secure apps" settings in Gmail account.
Put the exact same settings in the HIK camera and it won't connect to the test server so this is a HIK issue.
I tried the Tenvis with a few different settings for my main email server and it won't work.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried the Tenvis with a few different settings for my main email server and it won't work.
So neither the Tenvis camera nor the Hik camera (presumably on the LAN as opposed to being on an NVR PoE port) works on your site host server.

Usually SMTP connect problems can be readily explored by looking at a network capture of the attempted connection.
Test Failed DNS error
But this may suggest an underlying other cause.
Does the camera firmware have a Test button on NTP server settings that could prove out that DNA name resolution is working?

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to take one of the HIK cameras off the NVR and try it direct with Gmail in case the NVR is causing problems maybe there is some port settings that need a change.
I think my hosting company have screwed things up as they were taken over recently and everything worked fine before.
This suggest two problems.
Anyway I found an old Tenvis which has Motion Detect and email which I can use for a while

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to take one of the HIK cameras off the NVR and try it direct with Gmail in case the NVR is causing problems maybe there is some port settings that need a change.
But that camera used to work previously when connected to an NVR PoE port?

Normally, network traffic from an NVR PoE-connected camera won't flow to the WAN.
But it can if these 3 conditions apply :
The camera has the NVR PoE interface IP address as it's default gateway, usually 192.168.254.1 for Hikvision NVRs. This needs the camera channel to be in 'Manual' mode to prevent the NVR changing the gateway back. Usually when a Hikvision NVR 'Activates' a camera, under Plug&Play, it gives the camera the NVR default gateway (ie your router) as its gateway IP address. This inhibits traffic flow outside the PoE segment.
The NVR has 'Virtual Host active. This enables traffic flow between both the NVR LAN and PoE interfaces.
The LAN router / gateway has a static route so that it knows how to direct traffic to/from the NVR PoE interface IP address range.
Something like :
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use <NVR_LAN_interface_IP_address> as gateway."

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK I'll have a look at the NVR later but in the meantime I found a HIK camera and plugged it into the network without adding it to the NVR ,typed in the Gmail settings that work on both Tenvis cameras and it says "cannot connect to server"
Not sure these ports are relevant ?

HTTP Port 80

RTSP Port 554

HTTPS Port 443

Server Port 8126

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure these ports are relevant ?
The relevant settings would be in the network configuration :
Default gateway - the LAN router IP address.
The DNS servers - also the LAN router IP address, but also Google's 8.8.8.8 which works OK with Hikvision devices.
And on the smtp.gmail.com email settings, port 587, enable SSL, StartTLS