Emulating BLC in Blue Iris - possible?

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've run into a serious backlight problem with a camera that doesn't support backlight compensation. While getting one that does is a sound piece of advice, I would appreciate something more software-related.

So, Question 1 is - am I right in thinking that with Blue Iris, I'm limited to the standard Brightness/Contrast etc. settings and there's no way of adjusting the image range specifically to tackle backlight?

In an image editor, I would probably use Levels. Sure, I still can do that with a still image pulled out of a video recording, but even aside from the burden involved, I'm afraid, some critical information can still be lost in the dark areas if not captured by the recorder.

Question 2: if Blue Iris doesn't support that outright, is there a proven combination of steps to handle the problem through the available settings?

Question 3: Is there any other reasonably priced software that handles backlight gracefully?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've run into a serious backlight problem with a camera that doesn't support backlight compensation. While getting one that does is a sound piece of advice, I would appreciate something more software-related.

So, Question 1 is - am I right in thinking that with Blue Iris, I'm limited to the standard Brightness/Contrast etc. settings and there's no way of adjusting the image range specifically to tackle backlight?

In an image editor, I would probably use Levels. Sure, I still can do that with a still image pulled out of a video recording, but even aside from the burden involved, I'm afraid, some critical information can still be lost in the dark areas if not captured by the recorder.

Question 2: if Blue Iris doesn't support that outright, is there a proven combination of steps to handle the problem through the available settings?

Question 3: Is there any other reasonably priced software that handles backlight gracefully?

Thanks.
correct - blue iris does not even adjust brightness or contrast, those are just settings that are sent to the camera, no. no.
Seems strange that you are willing to buy software to resolve the problem but not toss away what is evidently a cheap camera.