Enterprise Switch Setup ?

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I received a used Supermicro managed 48-port POE switch just recently and am stumbling with the initial configuration. I have reset the switch to factory defaults. Right now, all I want to do is access the switch's built-in web page for administration. The manual says this:

The switch includes a built-in network management agent. The agent offers a variety of management options, including SNMP, RMON and a webbased interface. A PC may also be connected directly to the switch for configuration and monitoring via a command line interface (CLI).

My current topology is: Cable Modem -- Router/WiFi -- unmanaged switch. DHCP assignment is handled by the Router.

I first tried to simply plug the new switch into the unmanaged switch and hoped an IP would be assigned so I could access the web interface to begin configuration, but I could not find the SM switch being assigned an IP. I then unplugged from the unmanaged switch and plugged into the Router .... still could not find an IP assignment to the SM switch.

Without an IP assigned to the SM switch, I don't know how to access it.

The User Manual refers to using telnet (which I enabled), so I thought I would connect the switch directly to a 2nd NIC on my BI PC and then try to telnet into the switch that way. It failed.

Next was to eliminate all the existing network from the equation, so I isolated a PC by itself and connected only that PC to the switch. Found the IP address of the NIC and tried that, but no joy.

I think this is a pretty standard Layer 2 managed switch which is probably accessed and configured in a similar manner to other switches of this type, but as it's new to me, I am clearly missing an important step or two.

Anyone have any idea how I can login to the switch?

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
The link provided is for a supermicro switch.

As your switch is used the settings stored in are from its last home. They likely won't work with your network.

If you download the installation manual it says to press and hole the reset button on the rear panel for 6 seconds to restore defaults.

Good luck

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The link provided is for a supermicro switch.

As your switch is used the settings stored in are from its last home. They likely won't work with your network.

If you download the installation manual it says to press and hole the reset button on the rear panel for 6 seconds to restore defaults.

Good luck

Yes, I did the reset already to clear any previous settings.

Still just trying to gain the most basic access....

And feeling pretty stupid .... LOL

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
login in to your router and check device manager or device table or something like that. It should list all things on the network and their associated ip address. Try anything that looks to be it

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
SETTING AN IP ADDRESS You must establish IP address information for the switch to obtain management access through the network. This can be done in either of the following ways: •

Manual — You have to input the information, including IP address and subnet mask. If your management station is not in the same IP subnet as the switch, you will also need to specify the default gateway router. •

Dynamic — The switch can send IPv4 configuration requests to BOOTP or DHCP address allocation servers on the network, or automatically generate a unique IPv6 host address based on the local subnet address prefix received in router advertisement messages. An IPv6 link local address for use in a local network can also be dynamically generated as described in “Obtaining an IPv6 Address” on page 35. • The current software supports DHCP for IPv6, so an IPv6 global unicast address for use in a network containing more than one subnet can obtained through the DHCPv6 server, or manually configured as described in “Assigning an IPv6 Address” on page 3

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
page 34
DYNAMIC CONFIGURATION Obtaining an IPv4 Address If you select the “bootp” or “dhcp” option, the system will immediately start broadcasting service requests. IP will be enabled but will not function until a BOOTP or DHCP reply has been received. Requests are broadcast every few minutes using exponential backoff until IP configuration information is obtained from a BOOTP or DHCP server.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
page 46
NAVIGATING THE WEB BROWSER INTERFACE To access the web-browser interface you must first enter a user name and password. The administrator has Read/Write access to all configuration parameters and statistics. The default user name and password for the administrator is “ADMIN.”

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not familiar with the Supermicro switches but most likely you need to attach to the serial port to setup an IP, what VLAN and ports it is accessible from and user/pass. After that you should be able to use telnet and the web interface if it has one.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
page 45
CONNECTING TO THE WEB INTERFACE Prior to accessing the switch from a web browser, be sure you have first performed the following tasks:
1. Configure the switch with a valid IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using an out-of-band serial connection, BOOTP or DHCP protocol. (See “Setting an IP Address” on page 31.)
2. Set user names and passwords using an out-of-band serial connection. Access to the web agent is controlled by the same user names and passwords as the onboard configuration program. (See “Setting Passwords” on page 30.)
3. After you enter a user name and password, you will have access to the system configuration program. NOTE: You are allowed three attempts to enter the correct password; on the third failed attempt the current connection is terminated.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
first things first, LOL

REQUIRED CONNECTIONS
The switch provides an RS-232 serial port that enables a connection to a PC or terminal for monitoring and configuring the switch.
A null-modem console cable is provided with the switch. Attach a VT100-compatible terminal, or a PC running a terminal emulation program to the switch.
You can use the console cable provided with this package, or use a null-modem cable that complies with the wiring assignments shown in the Installation Guide.
To connect a terminal to the console port, complete the following steps:
1. Connect the console cable to the serial port on a terminal, or a PC running terminal emulation software, and tighten the captive retaining screws on the DB-9 connector.
2. Connect the other end of the cable to the RS-45 serial port on the switch.
3. Make sure the terminal emulation software is set as follows:
• Select the appropriate serial port (COM port 1 or COM port 2).
• Set the baud rate to 9600 bps. Chapter 2: Initial Switch Configuration Basic Configuration – 29 –
• Set the data format to 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.
• Set flow control to none.
• Set the emulation mode to VT100.
• When using HyperTerminal, select Terminal keys, not Windows keys.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
quite often, a PC will not have a db-9 serial port. and you will additionally need a USB to serial adapter.
Some dell optiplex up thru 9020 and possibly newer have the serial port. if you have an old one laying around, you might be able to configure it like that.
I think i had a similar headache, with the Cisco 3650x. i seem to remember downloading "Putty", and trying the provided blue Serial cable. it also had a Micro USB port as well.
But my memory is shit about some stuff.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
first things first, LOL

REQUIRED CONNECTIONS
The switch provides an RS-232 serial port that enables a connection to a PC or terminal for monitoring and configuring the switch.
A null-modem console cable is provided with the switch. Attach a VT100-compatible terminal, or a PC running a terminal emulation program to the switch.
You can use the console cable provided with this package, or use a null-modem cable that complies with the wiring assignments shown in the Installation Guide.
To connect a terminal to the console port, complete the following steps:
1. Connect the console cable to the serial port on a terminal, or a PC running terminal emulation software, and tighten the captive retaining screws on the DB-9 connector.
2. Connect the other end of the cable to the RS-45 serial port on the switch.
3. Make sure the terminal emulation software is set as follows:
• Select the appropriate serial port (COM port 1 or COM port 2).
• Set the baud rate to 9600 bps. Chapter 2: Initial Switch Configuration Basic Configuration – 29 –
• Set the data format to 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.
• Set flow control to none.
• Set the emulation mode to VT100.
• When using HyperTerminal, select Terminal keys, not Windows keys.

That looks like it might be the answer. Unfortunately, I did not receive the cable with the switch. Fortunately, Amazon is only a few clicks away. Tomorrow I receive this ...
Only problem is, I don't have a DB9 connector on the PC .... Hmmmm ..... adapters .... checking for those now.... :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
is there a db9 on the switch right? I recall having that same cable, but I'll be darned if I can remember if thats how i got in :)