Escape room ip camera / Good audio - nightvision

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We are an escape room in New York. We currently have 14 of these cameras in all our rooms, linked to a POE Switch: Hikvision 2CD2432F-IW 3MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera 2.8mm.

We now need to buy around 20/22 of these, still linked to a POE Switch.

These cameras are ok in term of quality and FOV (90 degree angle version).

But two main problems, very important for the "gamemasters" who are watching the games:

- Poor audio quality.
- Poor night vision.

What Ip cameras can you recommend that combines these 4 qualities?

- 90 degree angle
- Good video quality
- Good audio quality
- Good night vision

From what I understood looking at the different topics on this forum, Foscam/Armcrest = poor quality, Dahua/Lorex might be an option?

Thanks for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
See the dahua starlight turret...fixed 2.8mm for about 100...if you want varifocal its 170...

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like a good model, did you try it? The sound is really good?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What's wrong with you? What are you talking about?

This thread I suppose : Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) ?

I thought the goal of this forum was to help, sorry to bother you.
The real question is what is wrong with YOU! I provided you with info, all you need to do is read. You are a lazy parasite and expect everything to be spoon fed to you. This is not how this website works...if you want someone to work for you, go hire a professional. Otherwise, get off your lazy ass and read the thread. There are images, video, audio. Dont like the FREE advice you are getting here? Feel free to leave and hopefully the door hits you on the way out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For what its worth, I don't hear squat when I listen to the built in microphones on my HDW5231R-Z cameras. I don't even hear vehicles go by. But I can hear conversations from across the street (if they're talking loudly) with a Hikvision mini dome with built-in microphone and the audio quality sucks. It is like old telephone quality, but at least it is sensitive.

To get really good audio you're probably going to want cameras with audio inputs and some good external microphones.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman for your advice, you provided me the info, true, but how you provided me the info is a different story. No violence, peace. I was just asking you if you tried it that's it.

Anyway thank you bp, I don't need really good audio but the audio of the Hikvision 2CD2432F is really not good.

Judging at the sound we hear in this video : around "1 min 20", it seems to be O.K. You have the same sound than the one you hear in this video?

I would like to avoid buying 20-22 external microphones :(

Also, is it O.K to have this camera indoor? Do you have other alternatives with Ok sound quality / 90 fov angle / good night vision?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For what its worth, I don't hear squat when I listen to the built in microphones on my HDW5231R-Z cameras. I don't even hear vehicles go by. But I can hear conversations from across the street (if they're talking loudly) with a Hikvision mini dome with built-in microphone and the audio quality sucks. It is like old telephone quality, but at least it is sensitive.

To get really good audio you're probably going to want cameras with audio inputs and some good external microphones.
Do you have the noise filter on? I can hear cars go by pretty loud. I can hear people talking from the sidewalk which is maybe about 15-20 feet away if they are talking loud.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the noise filter on? I can hear cars go by pretty loud. I can hear people talking from the sidewalk which is maybe about 15-20 feet away if they are talking loud.
I'm not sure. I can play around with it more, later. Not at home right now so I can't do much conveniently :)

The road is every bit of 50-70 feet away from my cameras, and I couldn't even hear vehicles going past last time I tried with Dahua's built-in mic.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The quality of the sound is correct Philip? Same than the one on the video I sent?

Bp, can you try both, Hikvision and Dahua to check which one has the best sound? Thank you all! (Even Federman, I found this ip cam thanks to him :) )

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure enough, turning off the noise filtering on my Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras makes them pick up sound at least as well as the Hikvision I have outside. The Dahua has much better encoding options and sounds pretty decent. It is indeed a lot like the 2MP sample in nayr's video posted above.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure enough, turning off the noise filtering on my Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras makes them pick up sound at least as well as the Hikvision I have outside. The Dahua has much better encoding options and sounds pretty decent. It is indeed a lot like the 2MP sample in nayr's video posted above.
Sweet! 50-70 feet is still pretty darn far but glad you were able to get some better sound out of your cams. The noise filter cuts too much of the sound out in my opinion.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, with the noise filtering enabled, I just get a quiet unidentifiable wishy-washy sound as a vehicle drives past at its closest point about 50 feet away. Turning off noise filtering made all the difference. I just heard a truck accelerating after a stop sign 200+ feet away out of sight.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a clip I just triggered manually in Blue Iris from one of my starlight turrets. When the vehicle turns the corner, it is 250 feet away from the camera.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perfect, thank you very much for your answer bp, and for this great snowy video!

Now, can you walk in the snow, talk and shout to see the difference of sounds, and freeze? Lol. Seriously, the sound seems to be more than O.K, much clearer than the one I have on my hikvsion cams.

I'll buy one of these to check if they will fit my need. Thanks you so much for your help!

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was on the process of buying the HDW4231EM when I saw this video on youtube:
The sound of this video is atrocious, even worse than the one we have in our rooms with the Hikvision.

Which is surprising, because the sound here on the 2 videos of Nayr is good:

-
- ( even if it's not the same model)

What happened to the sound on the first video? Bad youtube encoding or is it really the sound of this cam? I prefer to be sure before I buy one and throw it away. Thank you!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to say. The first video could have been using poor encoding quality, and I believe they had noise filtering on, which does significantly reduce the background noise level but it adds a lot of audible distortion in my experience.

I can't really tell if noise filtering was on in nayr's video from the 4231. Either way, it was performing really well.