Ethernet in PVC conduit

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello again,

I'm finalizing my game plan for ethernet cabling for my outdoor cams. I have access to the sills in the basement and have used this to run electrical outlets outside in weather tight boxes.

From a security perspective tho, I'm curious if there's any downside to running cat 6 cables through PVC conduit to the cams and using weatherproof boxes for each cam. I can paint the conduit to match the siding and not have to deal with trying to fish cables through multi-layers of fiberglass and board insulation.

I'm thinking the cams should pick up any activity if someone tries to get close enough to cut through the conduit to disable the cams.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Rick

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I did this exact thing a couple years ago for a couple of cameras on my front porch awning. I punched a hole through the wall into my crawlspace, used a junction box on the outside, ran 3/4 gray electrical conduit over and up the outside support beam to the cameras. I painted it white to match the wood it mounted to. It has been working great. I figured anyone who had the time to cut the conduit would be seen by a camera.

It came in handy when I had to fish a 12V cable up there recently to mount an ir floodlight.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
As much as I want to make sure everything is mounted on the house or the soffit, I would feel way better, given the choice, if ethernet were in conduit and not just tucked behind vinyl siding or a downspout.

I see no issues with you putting it in conduit. If someone is going to go to the extreme of cutting your conduit, then you have bigger issues.

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did this exact thing a couple years ago for a couple of cameras on my front porch awning. I punched a hole through the wall into my crawlspace, used a junction box on the outside, ran 3/4 gray electrical conduit over and up the outside support beam to the cameras. I painted it white to match the wood it mounted to. It has been working great. I figured anyone who had the time to cut the conduit would be seen by a camera.

It came in handy when I had to fish a 12V cable up there recently to mount an ir floodlight.
Appreciate it Jesse. Running in conduit will make it so much easier for this old goat to quickly get the wiring in place. And your comment about an IR flood strikes a nerve as well. I have virtually no light in my back yard, other than some inexpensive motion lighting so we can see our pups when they take care of biz.

Rick

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As much as I want to make sure everything is mounted on the house or the soffit, I would feel way better, given the choice, if ethernet were in conduit and not just tucked behind vinyl siding or a downspout.

I see no issues with you putting it in conduit. If someone is going to go to the extreme of cutting your conduit, then you have bigger issues.
Thanks for the quick reply, and fair point about cutting the conduit. My plan will have plenty of cam coverage so someone should be detected and identified well before they get to the conduit.

Thanks again!
Rick

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, and fair point about cutting the conduit. My plan will have plenty of cam coverage so someone should be detected and identified well before they get to the conduit.

Thanks again!
Rick
At some point, if you try to plan for every possible scenario, you might as well build a house out of concrete and encase everything in steel. There are some pretty bad installs in one of the threads on here. Any sort of conduit will be a step up from those. :rofl:

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At some point, if you try to plan for every possible scenario, you might as well build a house out of concrete and encase everything in steel. There are some pretty bad installs in one of the threads on here. Any sort of conduit will be a step up from those. :rofl:
Indeed... One part of me wants to hide everything so the look of the house isn't compromised. Another wants to paint everything bright orange and tell everyone they're on camera. Ultimately, my bride will decide... lol

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Appreciate it Jesse. Running in conduit will make it so much easier for this old goat to quickly get the wiring in place. And your comment about an IR flood strikes a nerve as well. I have virtually no light in my back yard, other than some inexpensive motion lighting so we can see our pups when they take care of biz.

Rick
Hey Jesse - followup question for you. I need to run 4 cat6 cables per conduit. Would 3/4 be sufficient or should I go with 1"? Planning on doing 2 cams per conduit run and having spare cables in case anything goes sideways.

Thanks!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey Jesse - followup question for you. I need to run 4 cat6 cables per conduit. Would 3/4 be sufficient or should I go with 1"? Planning on doing 2 cams per conduit run and having spare cables in case anything goes sideways.

Thanks!
My opinion is 1". For the little additional cost you will have extra space for more fun later on, and not need to run an additional conduit or end up replacing it altogether.

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tagged you in a comment I left on one of these, but thought I would also copy them here. I saw these in the random photo crawler across the bottom of the forums. Photos from @iseeker

3/4" PVC with 5 CAT6

View attachment 157254

1" PVC with 5 CAT6

View attachment 157255
I was reading through your thread on camera placement and was curious what you're using by the door entry points? My original thought was to use the SD1A203T-GN cams as I can install above the front door and my back slider doors below and above the deck. I can still use them inside the house to watch the doorways and the dogs... lol.

Likely going to stick with 5442ZE cams for most of the rest of the outdoor cams, at least until I get some footage to show my coverage holes.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
As someone else said, once you use a 5442 it's hard to use anything else. So I have these installed for basically all locations.

However, at my front door, above the doorbell, I have a IPC-E3541F-AS-M in 2.8mm. This is commonly referred to as a wedge cam. Above the door is a 5442 fixed.

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As someone else said, once you use a 5442 it's hard to use anything else. So I have these installed for basically all locations.

However, at my front door, above the doorbell, I have a IPC-E3541F-AS-M in 2.8mm. This is commonly referred to as a wedge cam. Above the door is a 5442 fixed.
You happy with both choices? I'm struggling with what would give me the best coverage vs the best image. Mostly with delivery guys, but with the occasional peddler too. Part of me wants to get one of those active deterrence cams. But another part of me likes it when the "P" in my first name remains silent...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You happy with both choices? I'm struggling with what would give me the best coverage vs the best image. Mostly with delivery guys, but with the occasional peddler too. Part of me wants to get one of those active deterrence cams. But another part of me likes it when the "P" in my first name remains silent...
The active deterrence is kind a gimmicky, especially the TIOC with the blue and red lights.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside. Outside the red/blue light is more gimmicky than anything else. Nobody will see it unless they are looking at the camera. And the distance isn't very far due to not being an ideal MP/sensor ratio.

Stay away from the IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV as it has been well documented here how horrible that one is.

You can make it siren or say "You are under surveillance" or add your own audio.

The video quality at night is comparable to any similar camera on same sensor and lens size. The biggest problem is people buy this camera expecting to IDENTIFY at 60 feet and no 2.8mm or 3.6mm will do that. But if you are under 15 feet it will be ok.

I will warn you the lights are piddly and will only be seen in complete darkness or if the perp looks directly at it. We have seen motion activated lights are not a deterrent.

Watch this video someone posted and how the floodlight comes on and they don't even flinch. But then the audio comes on and they don't know which way to run LOL.

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice video! lol

I have no problem messing with douche bags who mess with me. I may pick up one or two when the sale hits tomorrow. I also have 2 of the SD1A203T-GN cams - might they be a better option?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your existing SD1A203T-GN will be better quality plus you can optically zoom and pan/tilt.

If it has an audio out cable, adding an external speaker would be a better bet than the active deterrence.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been happy with all of them. I only went with the wedge for the form factor. Unfortunately it is not an ideal install angle and I am still trying to get good face captures with a backlit subject. If they come to the door and stall, it's fine. If they were to come up, grab a package, and run it might be hit/miss. I did try it in "corridor mode" to try and get some of the sky out of the frame. I may go back and try that again.

5442 2.8mm overlooking my front yard.

Front Yard, North 2023-01-06 04.48.43.3 PM.jpg

The 5mp wedge next to the front door.

Front_Door 2023-01-06 04.48.43.516 PM.jpg

The 5442 3.6mm above the front door.

Front_Porch 2023-01-06 04.48.43.356 PM.jpg