Ethernet Splitter to see cameras on network ? ?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So there has been discussion about the disadvantage of having your cameras plugged directly into the NVR. The biggest draw back I have seen is not being able to access the cameras directly using a computer to make modifications in the camera settings. Personally I have no problem going to my rack and unplugging the camera and plugging it into a computer to make the modifications. But some people do not have easy access to the NVR and unplugging a cable could involve getting a contortionist to assist.

This got me thinking how to access the cameras and keep them in a closed system ( NVR with it's own POE ports ) .

All right gang will something like the following work?

1) Use Ethernet splitter Y cable or 2 port hub and plug the lead into the NVR.
2) Now plug the camera into one branch and plug the other end into a NO power switch .
3) Repeat this process for each camera
4) Plug a stand alone computer only used to make camera setting changes into the switch.

Can this work ?

Will you short out the NO power switch or something else ?

Trying to think outside the box. Does not always mean it will work but you never learn something new without experimenting. Also much better to bounce IDEAS off the all knowing to see if they are plausible.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, Ethernet doesn't work like that.

You could plug a PoE switch into one of the NVR's PoE ports and connect a camera and a computer or other device on your network. A bit of networking knowledge is required to deal with having different subnets and multiple dhcp servers depending on how you connect everything.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

You could plug a PoE switch into one of the NVR's PoE ports and connect a camera and a computer or other device on your network. A bit of networking knowledge is required to deal with having different subnets and multiple dhcp servers depending on how you connect everything.
Well it was a thought that I had hoping that a simple set up was available. Would be nice if they made a port on the back of the NVR so the POE switch could be used to access the cameras without jumping over gators. Maybe some day the engineers will think of doing something like this.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar at all with Dahua NVRs - but I assume they have much the same feature set as Hikvision NVRs.

Is there an equivalent to the Hikvision 'Virtual Host' facility where the NVR provides a NATed access to PoE-connected cameras?
Or if not, is there telnet or SSH access so that the 'IP_forwarding' (not to be confused with 'port forwarding') capability of the Linux kernel can be activated so that it will provide direct access to the cameras at their native IP address?
Perhaps @cor35vet could comment.

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not familiar at all with Dahua NVRs - but I assume they have much the same feature set as Hikvision NVRs.

Is there an equivalent to the Hikvision 'Virtual Host' facility where the NVR provides a NATed access to PoE-connected cameras?
Or if not, is there telnet or SSH access so that the 'IP_forwarding' (not to be confused with 'port forwarding') capability of the Linux kernel can be activated so that it will provide direct access to the cameras at their native IP address?
Perhaps @cor35vet could comment.
No, there is no virtual host on Dahua NVRs. There is customised firmware for some partners that allows that, but it's not baseline.

Best option for me? CISCO 300 series and configure VLANs :)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, there is no virtual host on Dahua NVRs. There is customised firmware for some partners that allows that, but it's not baseline.

Best option for me? CISCO 300 series and configure VLANs :)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I have the 5416 16p .

Is the NVR acting like a Switch or are the camera feeds all branching off in the NVR to record on separate channels ?

If I ran all the cameras through a POE ( I have ) then connect the POE switch to channel 1 of the NVR will the NVR recognize each camera individually and put each camera on a separate channel of the NVR ?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It was my understanding that each camera was accessible over the main network in-spite of being connected to the back of the NVR. Does the Dahua app allow us to access camera settings via mobile phone and other devices?

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a similar question to Brian Martin. It might be difficult to wire my house into the closet where I keep my 5216-16P-4KS2. I have attic access for the back of the house, so it was suggested that I install a PoE switch instead and piggy back off a prewired Ethernet port. Basically, I hijack the existing Cat6 that goes into the closet and can connect directly my NVR, connect that to a PoE switch, run one wire down to the original port, and have open ports on my PoE switch for cameras to wire in the attic.

My question is by doing that, does the NVR recognize those cameras as easily as directly connecting them or will I have to search for the cameras on the new PoE switch network?
Also, is a PoE switch safe inside walls or an attic or will it overheat?

I'm looking at the ZyXEL 1200-8HP that fenderman recommended in another thread I was reading through. Amazon.com: ZyXEL 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-8HP]: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My old NVR did not have POE so I had that one hooked into a POE switch. I now have the 5416 with POE. My cameras are currently wired directly to the NVR. Currently I have not had the time to test wiring the cams to a POE switch and then to the NVR POE ports so I am not certain how stable that is.

I can tell you hooking the cameras up directly to the NVR seemed like a quicker connection then running through a separate switch. With the old system I had 2 cameras that would always drop off and then come back on or I had to do a manual search in the NVR to find them. Those same two cameras have been connected to the 5416 for several weeks now and not once dropped off the radar!

Personally I would NOT put any electronics in and attic or wall. Unless you are planning on sitting there with a ice bag on them they will over heat.

Yes it takes time but I would run new wires to a cool area. I put my NVR in my basement were my server rack is . Always nice and cool and low humidity !

I put my beast of a WiFi router in the 1st floor closet and ran my main Cat 6 from the communications box to it. I then ran 4 new lines from that to my server rack. After that was done I started running new lines to each camera. Takes time but it was well worth it form me.

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hm. If I can't do the attic, I might have to upgrade to that fanless version then.

And if I understand this correctly, I'll have to manually search the IPs for the POE-switch connected cameras for the NVR to recognize them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hm. If I can't do the attic, I might have to upgrade to that fanless version then.

And if I understand this correctly, I'll have to manually search the IPs for the POE-switch connected cameras for the NVR to recognize them.
both of the zyxel switch mentioned are fanless..

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your wondering why my Router is in the 1st floor closet and I am not worried about heat :
I have a ASUS RT-AC5300 . The thing is friggin big! It has some serious ventilation in it and the closet is in the center of the house and never gets hot. The closet also provides me with excellent signal strength all over my property even through the massive trees.
Also its a quick an easy way to hooking up test hardware.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Not certain on the POE switch to the NVR. Like I said I have not set one up like that so until I do I can not provide you with that knowledge. I know a few other members have. Either they will chime in or attach a link to another thread that may contain that info. Sorry I don't want to give bad advise on that subject.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thought you might get a kick out of what the router looks like. Pulled this pic of the internet since I am at work . Gives you a good idea what the thing looks like. Spider.png

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Holy crap, your router looks like a ninja star, lol. Thanks for the help, guys. I'm reading up on nayr's NVR thread, too. Networking isn't my best. I'd hardwire it all into the NVR if I could but that job is looking difficult.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"attic is not a good location for a switch...it gets too hot.." - Fenderman is right...

Note, it is possible to build a nice mini-data center with cooling in an attic if you have enough room and are willing to take the time... remember google runs their data centers about 80 degrees iirc, any hotter and equipment starts to fail very quickly.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My nvr is connected to my switch as well and I can connect to my cameras that are connected to the nvr. I just need to change my IP address of my machine to see them as they are on a different subnet