Excessive Motion dection alerts in basement with nightvision

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Foscam 9831P in my basement. At night there is simply no light down there but BI (4.2.3.1 x64) keeps alerting on motion. I have attached a screen shot of my Motion/Trigger settings. The camera is set to night vision at all times. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those settings should never trigger motion, the make time is way too long.... You can run the recorded video through motion detection to see what the trigger is.. Or record direct to disc so you can record the motion highlights... Also try installing 3.2

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I watched all of the video clips and found absolutely nothing moving... not even a mouse. I right clicked while watching one of the videos and checked the "Test run video through motion detector" and when I un-paused the playback there was no alert. What should I be looking for? Also, what is 3.2? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I watched all of the video clips and found absolutely nothing moving... not even a mouse. I right clicked while watching one of the videos and checked the "Test run video through motion detector" and when I un-paused the playback there was no alert. What should I be looking for? Also, what is 3.2? Thanks.
You should be able to see pixel changes that blue iris is detecting...4.2.3.2 is the latest version..

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nothing was displayed when I used the "test run ..." setting in the viewer. And I just updated to 4.2.3.2 a few minutes ago. Does this version have any fixes specific to motion detection issues? I think I may be using the "test run..." option incorrectly. When I right click on another clip that I KNOW has motion, then play the clip, nothing is displayed except the video. No indicators or alerts or anything about pixels? The check box is staying on, too. Is this a problem because I have the camera's IR on and the video is black/white
?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For the test run to work properly...from the help file...best thing to do is to record direct to disc and highlight motion, this way you can see what is causing it...dont know if the new update addresses any of this...

• You should start playback at least several seconds before, but optimally up to 250 frames before the point of interest in the video.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I fixed this problem. Two words: Camera Groups. I have this camera in the "inside" group and one of the other cameras in the group had "trigger camera groups checked". Doh!

No recent false alarms but now when I play the clip it cuts off before the subject (me) actually enters the camera's field of view. I have set "Pre-trigger video buffer" to 50 to make sure I get a few frames of video before the subject entered the field of view (camera is averaging 10.00 fps), but which setting controls how long the camera records once motion is detected?

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...but which setting controls how long the camera records once motion is detected?
Camera properties -> Motion/Trigger -> End trigger unless re-triggered within...sec.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. Ghosts of Richard Nixon maybe. I have recordings that completely skip over the time that I WAS IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA. Prior to walking in front of the camera I set the BI recording to "direct to disk", let the camera restart, then went down the basement. I also launched the BI Android app and watched it the whole time while I walked into the camera's field of vision. Again, the camera is in nightvision mode, and I watched me walk back and forth across the camera's "hot spot" and through its masked view. One odd thing I saw on the BI App was that as my body moved across the room my body pixalated blue in the app (on the black/wht/gray video). When I got back to the BI console and watched the video, the timestamp on the playback COMPLETELY jumped over the time that I knew I was in front of the camera. This is getting weird. Technically, it is "devils night". Hmmm.

This thought just occurred to me - am I causing a problem with motion detection to have a masked view AND a hot spot inside the view?

BasementCam Motion Mask.png

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After the previous post I cleared the mask and started over. The entire image is white and i pasted a hot spot rectangle across the view at waist to head height. This time when I walked through it BI sent me email saying there was motion, and a picture ... of nothing ... and attached an empty video. Arrgh.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@mrvelous01 Are your motion settings are set to the same settings as your first post? That would explain not triggering motion.
Set the make time to 1 second or less. Lower the minimum object size to 500 and contrast to 35...and work from there.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Things are finally working. Obj size is 255. Contrast is 35. Make is .1. Break is 20. In order to attach video to email I had to switch the record format encoder back to "Re-encode" (not direct-to-disc). Object Detection is unchecked. Mask and hot spot has no hot spot and no mask. Do not highlight motion is also selected. Only one false alarm and it was one of those damn fruit flies. I think I have to increase the min object size to avoid that. Thanks for the assistance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Things are finally working. Obj size is 255. Contrast is 35. Make is .1. Break is 20. In order to attach video to email I had to switch the record format encoder back to "Re-encode" (not direct-to-disc). Object Detection is unchecked. Mask and hot spot has no hot spot and no mask. Do not highlight motion is also selected. Only one false alarm and it was one of those damn fruit flies. I think I have to increase the min object size to avoid that. Thanks for the assistance.
Is the make time 0.1 or 1?
Reencoding uses lots of cpu power...sending a video does not require you to use re-encode..it works just fine with direct to disk.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make time is 0.1. I will reset to direct-to-disk, cause an event, and double check the email. What are the benefits/detractors of direct-to-disk vs. other methods?

BI is running on a dedicated Windows 8.1 PC with an i7-4790 3.60GHz quad core/HT CPU, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB HDD (I am contemplating adding a 4TB HDD). I am averaging 16-20% CPU Utilization and 20-30% memory usage so I am not terribly worried about killing the box (yet). I have 2 older Panasonic BB-HCM381A netcams, 3 Foscam 9831P, 1 Foscam 9804P, 1 Hikvision 2cd2432F, and 1 Hikvision 2cd2032-I cameras. I am planning on adding 2 more Hikvision cams within the month.

Do you think direct-to-disk will cause any performance issues with this configuration?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make time is 0.1. I will reset to direct-to-disk, cause an event, and double check the email. What are the benefits/detractors of direct-to-disk vs. other methods?

BI is running on a dedicated Windows 8.1 PC with an i7-4790 3.60GHz quad core/HT CPU, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB HDD (I am contemplating adding a 4TB HDD). I am averaging 16-20% CPU Utilization and 20-30% memory usage so I am not terribly worried about killing the box (yet). I have 2 older Panasonic BB-HCM381A netcams, 3 Foscam 9831P, 1 Foscam 9804P, 1 Hikvision 2cd2432F, and 1 Hikvision 2cd2032-I cameras. I am planning on adding 2 more Hikvision cams within the month.

Do you think direct-to-disk will cause any performance issues with this configuration?
0.1 is very low and will likely cause false alerts..I would go with 0.7 or so..
Direct to disk will not record blue iris' time stamp or overlays...you will have to use the cameras or add the time when you export. Since your cameras are relatively low res and your system is powerful you dont really need it...but if you use it, your cpu consumption will drop considerably.