Expand my system with two more cameras

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok been running a couple of cams for the last two years initially to see how I got on with them.

I am using an old Mac Mini to run the system with the excellent SecuritySpy software which allows me up to four cameras on the existing license.

As I said I have two cameras one is a 2MP generic PTZ in the garden which was my first camera which moves and has zoom. Was a little complex to set up but works well. Propabably over kill but it was my first one dipping my toes into CCTV.

I then purchased a second camera and decided to go for branded internal camera the Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 4MP Network IP Camera Cube PIR. This was so easy to set up and quality is excellent. It covers the inside of a worshop in my garden. Dont really need audio in there though.

So I would like to put another one at the front door but have no idea what type to buy or where to locate it. I would like another Hikvision but the turret styles are large and I wanted something more discrete. I would also like one inside the house to cover some pets and the ground floor when we are away. I was thinking about moving the Hikvision workshop one into the house and replacing that with a turret in the workshop as it does not need sound.

So here is the front door.

IMG_0622.jpg

I thought some kind of turret (ideally something smaller and discrete) in one of the corner positions shown ?

The other camera currently points at the gate in the garden. This is a PTZ and is over kill really. Here is a picture showing its location again circled in red.

IMG_0621.jpg

It will rotate to point at the workshop but I never do this.

IMG_0625.jpg

Finally the Hikvision inside the workshop. This is the one I may put inside the house and then put a Hikvision turret in the workshop ?

IMG_0624.jpg

Any ideas/recommendations welcomed. Maybe with a camera at the front door I could move the PTZ to the outside of the workshop to cover the garden ?

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have ordered this one to try on the front door.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072KMVK43/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Seems to get good reviews and one reviewer claims it is a Hikvision underneath the hood. I guess I could use it for the workshop if need be, though the 4mm lens might be too narrow a field of view for inside ?

Its seems smaller than the normal bullets (aboout 3/4 size a soda can) given as I said I wanted something a little less obvious at the front door. All the Hikvision dome cameras seems quite large.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have ordered this one to try on the front door.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072KMVK43/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Seems to get good reviews and one reviewer claims it is a Hikvision underneath the hood. I guess I could use it for the workshop if need be, though the 4mm lens might be too narrow a field of view for inside ?

Its seems smaller than the normal bullets (aboout 3/4 size a soda can) given as I said I wanted something a little less obvious at the front door. All the Hikvision dome cameras seems quite large.
poor choice, you will have spider problems...look for turret cams..

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well its easy returned. Can you recommend a smaller turret cam most are huge!

Would a dome be better and if so can I mount it on the flat brickwork shown next to my front door ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well its easy returned. Can you recommend a smaller turret cam most are huge!

Would a dome be better and if so can I mount it on the flat brickwork shown next to my front door ?
turrets are not significantly bigger than the bullets...see the dahua starlight and hikvision low light turret threads.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok read some of the threads and had a search in the UK. The starlight cameras dont seem to be readily available. I did find a couple of Hikvision lowlight

HIKVISION DS-2CD2335FWD-I DARKFIGHTER ULTRA LOW LIGHT IP NETWORK CCTV CAMERA POE | eBay

So these cameras pretty much work the same day and night and only need a small amount of IR when it is very dark thus proventing spiders/web buildup ?

Guess with one of those wall mounts it would work at my front door.

I will see what the one I ordered is like and then consider swapping it.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok read some of the threads and had a search in the UK. The starlight cameras dont seem to be readily available. I did find a couple of Hikvision lowlight

HIKVISION DS-2CD2335FWD-I DARKFIGHTER ULTRA LOW LIGHT IP NETWORK CCTV CAMERA POE | eBay

So these cameras pretty much work the same day and night and only need a small amount of IR when it is very dark thus proventing spiders/web buildup ?

Guess with one of those wall mounts it would work at my front door.

I will see what the one I ordered is like and then consider swapping it.
no,..they have a much better sensor giving you much better low light images...the turret design is what helps with spiders...the ir and lens are total separated..the ir output is the same.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking at the first picture above it seems that if I go for for the Hikvision turret it would need to go on the wall marked with the lower red circle as the other facing brickwork is not wide enough for the mount. I guess the 110 diam turret might just fit mounted flush (verticle) on the facing brickwork but would I be able to angle it ok ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the first picture above it seems that if I go for for the Hikvision turret it would need to go on the wall marked with the lower red circle as the other facing brickwork is now wide enough for the mount. I guess the 110 diam durret might just fit on the facinng brickwory shown in the upper red circle but would I be able to angle it ok ?
You would be able to Angle it the same as a bullet ....

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just measured it and its not wide enough. The plastic above is a gutter so I can't drill into that and its not wide enough (min 110mm diam for the camera) anyway so looks like it will need to be mounted on the other horizontal wall.

IMG_0630.jpg

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The bullet camera turned up and I have to say it seems well made. Took me a while to figure out how to change the subnet and IP number (I can never see these on my subnet when using a browser unless I use the SADP tool) but got it working in the end. It's really a compact unit and would fit perfectly in the spot I was intending to fit it as shown. The diameter of the camera and fitting is only 60mm over the 110mm turret.

I think I may try it as the other turret cameras are a little large for where I plan to fit it.

If I hate it or have major spider problems, it can then go in my workshop and I can try one of the low light turrets ones at the front door. The other bullet I have gets spiders but I just clean them off every few months which is easy givin they are not fitted high. All the work will be in the cabling which I will have to do anyway. I learnt pretty quick not to use WiFi cameras!

I will post some pics later.

As I said for the money it seems very good for £80. I paid £160 for the generic 2MP PTZ bullet camera two years ago, so great to see price coming down and quality going up.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Well as I said if it does not work out I can use it for inside the workshop or even in the house as per my original post.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quite pleased with the results.

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 19.34.35.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 19.34.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 19.49.54.png

I need to blank/mask out next doors car/drive as I dont think its right to over look other peoples property without their consent and dont want them to trigger the cam either.

Last edited: