Expandable IP Security Camera System

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking for a 16 channel IP Security Camera system that be expanded easily. I recently bought a Lorex system, which claim that there system is ONVIF compatible, but when trying to add another camera from another manufacturer, I was not able to set it up. The reason that I chose another brand is because it had a narrower FOV (82 deg) then the Lorex ones (101 deg) for my front door.

What brands <$2000 are available that are good quality, but also easily expandable? I don't need the full 16 cameras now, but I would like to start with at least 8. I also don't need PTZ either. Or is it better to buy a good NVR and go with different cameras from there? Either way, I just need an expandable system that plays well with other brands.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

DmaxDually

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am also looking at the Lorex 16 camera system. I'm look at the 4K 8 MP 16 bullet camera system. I want to replace some of the bullet cameras with Hikvision PTZ cameras because Lorex doesn't make PTZ in 2k or 4K they only have 1080p. Lorex promotes their product as being Onvif compliant and the Hikvision cameras are also Onvif complaint. But when I call Lorex support they tell you that other onvif compliant cameras might not work. Isn't that the whole reason the whole Onvif standard was made. Is any body using Hikvison cameras on a Lorex NVR?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking for a 16 channel IP Security Camera system that be expanded easily. I recently bought a Lorex system, which claim that there system is ONVIF compatible, but when trying to add another camera from another manufacturer, I was not able to set it up. The reason that I chose another brand is because it had a narrower FOV (82 deg) then the Lorex ones (101 deg) for my front door.

What brands <$2000 are available that are good quality, but also easily expandable? I don't need the full 16 cameras now, but I would like to start with at least 8. I also don't need PTZ either. Or is it better to buy a good NVR and go with different cameras from there? Either way, I just need an expandable system that plays well with other brands.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
I am also looking at the Lorex 16 camera system. I'm look at the 4K 8 MP 16 bullet camera system. I want to replace some of the bullet cameras with Hikvision PTZ

cameras because Lorex doesn't make PTZ in 2k or 4K they only have 1080p. Lorex promotes their product as being Onvif compliant and the Hikvision cameras are also Onvif complaint. But when I call Lorex support they tell you that other onvif compliant cameras might not work. Isn't that the whole reason the whole Onvif standard was made. Is any body using Hikvison cameras on a Lorex NVR?
Welcome Mike, DmaxDually,

Please see my reply to Dmax here on another thread:
Lorex

If you need a top quality low light performer definitely look at the advice from looney2ns

I do like 4K cameras for well lighted conditions ( great for daytime package thieves image captures )
For catching those attempting to steal from your car parked on your driveway ( typically a night time event ) the Dahua OEM starlight cameras are the best imho.
( ideally I would have a good mix of them )

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Onvif complaint

.. I recently bought a Lorex system, which claim that there system is ONVIF compatible, but when trying to add another camera from another manufacturer, I was not able to set it up. The reason that I chose another brand is because it had a narrower FOV (82 deg) then the Lorex ones (101 deg) for my front door.
Mike
.. Lorex promotes their product as being Onvif compliant and the Hikvision cameras are also Onvif complaint. But when I call Lorex support they tell you that other onvif compliant cameras might not work. Isn't that the whole reason the whole Onvif standard was made. Is any body using Hikvison cameras on a Lorex NVR?
Hi Mike, Dmax,

I may have not covered this topic well enough here.

ONVIF complaint - numerous levels of ONVIF, and thus some potential inter-operational issues. Also the ONVIF spec does not cover some of the more advanced features.
This is why ideally you want to stick with matching Hikvision OEM cameras with Hikvision OEM NVRS and Dahua OEM cameras with Dahua OEM NVRs.

And, why some products while they claim meeting ONVIF may not have been implemented well - see reports here of Reolink regarding that.

Note, members here have reported getting the Hikvision OEM 1080p video doorbell to work with Lorex NVRs ( Dahua OEM ).

Remember you may have to go into the camera to enable ONVIF, as well as configure the NVR.

Companies support ( like the mentioned Lorex support line ) - the support rep is going to give answers based on a "book" - as compatibility issues can happen and one company does not have any control or say so on another companies firmware and firmware updates, the easiest thing to tell the customer is what you know better:

Our NVR products have been tested with out IP PoE cameras products and theses models work well.

If you press them more.. they may say NOPE - that other company's camera will not work with our NVR, please buy one of our cameras instead.

This is to be expected. Do not expect any company who makes NVRs out there to provide support for another companies camera.