Export Function

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a BVR file which is around 4GB in size and only the first couple of minutes of this file is something that I'd like to retain.

If I apply the sliders to the respective positions, can I then cut out the section of file that I want to keep? It looks like I can do this but it will be in a different format. Is there anyway that I can get it to then appear in the clips pane?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a BVR file which is around 4GB in size and only the first couple of minutes of this file is something that I'd like to retain.

If I apply the sliders to the respective positions, can I then cut out the section of file that I want to keep? It looks like I can do this but it will be in a different format. Is there anyway that I can get it to then appear in the clips pane?
you would have to export then add it to the storage folder then regenerate the database...i dont see why you would ever want to do this..

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

Which format would I export to?

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mp4...you should have no reason to do this...micro managing storage is still and a complete waste of time..
I have tried this and although it exports as this format LowerDrive.20170613_165458_1, when you look for it in the clips pane, you can find it under the date modified date which is 14.06.2017 17.31 - why would this be?

Secondly, are you able to export it to BlueIris format?

Edit: in addition, when you double click onto the clip in the clips pane to play, an error message of unable to open file 80040154 is displayed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried this and although it exports as this format LowerDrive.20170613_165458_1, when you look for it in the clips pane, you can find it under the date modified date which is 14.06.2017 17.31 - why would this be?

Secondly, are you able to export it to BlueIris format?

Edit: in addition, when you double click onto the clip in the clips pane to play, an error message of unable to open file 80040154 is displayed.
Because the file was created on 6/14
you cannot export to bvr because that would be pointless..again why in the word are you trying to do this? micromanage a bit of storage space? makes no sense to me. You are wasting your time.
for blue iris to play mp4 files you need to install a codec as explained on the website and in several threads that mention this error.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Because the file was created on 6/14
you cannot export to bvr because that would be pointless..again why in the word are you trying to do this? micromanage a bit of storage space? makes no sense to me. You are wasting your time.
for blue iris to play mp4 files you need to install a codec as explained on the website and in several threads that mention this error.
So when the database regenerates, does it not take the data contained within the file name as opposed to the created date?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So when the database regenerates, does it not take the data contained within the file name as opposed to the created date?
seems that way - i have never tested it as its pointless...what are you trying to do?

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
seems that way - i have never tested it as its pointless...what are you trying to do?
In response to your question about Micro Management, please consider this:

This morning, I have spent 90 minutes trawling through clips to determine those which aren't needed and those which should be kept - i tend to do this by looking at those which are largest and oldest. By doing this, I have deleted 2.21TB of data. By my way of reckoning, this means that I can stave off having to purchase another storage unit for around $3000.00 for another six months.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In response to your question about Micro Management, please consider this:

This morning, I have spent 90 minutes trawling through clips to determine those which aren't needed and those which should be kept - i tend to do this by looking at those which are largest and oldest. By doing this, I have deleted 2.21TB of data. By my way of reckoning, this means that I can stave off having to purchase another storage unit for around $3000.00 for another six months.
lol, 90 minuets to delete 2tb...how much is your time worth?
3000 dollars? really? how much storage do you have?
Here is what will happen, you will delete a clip you needed...all this effort makes no sense.
Are we in the twilight zone?
Why dont you simply make your file sizes smaller with combine and cut and delete the files with no action...regardless this is still not making any sense at all. Let blue iris do its thing...

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lol, 90 minuets to delete 2tb...how much is your time worth?
3000 dollars? really? how much storage do you have?
Here is what will happen, you will delete a clip you needed...all this effort makes no sense.
Are we in the twilight zone?
Why dont you simply make your file sizes smaller with combine and cut and delete the files with no action...regardless this is still not making any sense at all. Let blue iris do its thing...
There is currently 20tb of storage data. To add further rack mounted storage is going to cost around the 3k mark - do you agree?

Can you elaborate on the combine and cut, please?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is currently 20tb of storage data. To add further rack mounted storage is going to cost around the 3k mark - do you agree?

Can you elaborate on the combine and cut, please?
The computer cannot discern the difference between rackmounted storage and not. It would cost about 1k for drives and nas. By your logic it would take you 15 hours to delete 20tb of video..depending on how often you do this, its seems ridiculous.
Why in the world do you need 20tb of storage for video blue iris video? Is this for a large business?
Combine and cut is explained in the help file.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The computer cannot discern the difference between rackmounted storage and not. It would cost about 1k for drives and nas. By your logic it would take you 15 hours to delete 20tb of video..depending on how often you do this, its seems ridiculous.
Why in the world do you need 20tb of storage for video blue iris video? Is this for a large business?
Combine and cut is explained in the help file.
It all comes to down to cost at the end of the day and if I can stave off purchasing new hardware, that's the option I go for. The installation is for residential.

If I go to Camera Properties > Record then I have the combine or cut selection ticked. Is this what you mean?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It all comes to down to cost at the end of the day and if I can stave off purchasing new hardware, that's the option I go for. The installation is for residential.

If I go to Camera Properties > Record then I have the combine or cut selection ticked. Is this what you mean?
You are doing something very very wrong if you need 20gb of storage for residential... manually doing this is insane..
Yes Read the help file on it...

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are doing something very very wrong if you need 20gb of storage for residential... manually doing this is insane..
Yes Read the help file on it...
There are around 24 cameras hence the need for substantial storage.

What would you do differently?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are around 24 cameras hence the need for substantial storage.

What would you do differently?
well first I would not use 24 cameras...second I would adjust bitrate to lower storage needs...third, I would use motion detection at least on some of the cameras to lessen the storage requirements, if your cameras support h.265 use it...I can get a month on an 10 camera system home system recording at 4096 h.264 to a 1tb drive using motion detection...
seems to me the entire system is overkill..again, having to spend 90 minuets a day or even a weak doing manual purging defeats is insane.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well first I would not use 24 cameras...second I would adjust bitrate to lower storage needs...third, I would use motion detection at least on some of the cameras to lessen the storage requirements, if your cameras support h.265 use it...I can get a month on an 10 camera system home system recording at 4096 h.264 to a 1tb drive using motion detection...
seems to me the entire system is overkill..again, having to spend 90 minuets a day or even a weak doing manual purging defeats is insane.
All the cameras in use are required and each cover differing aspects of the site. I'd not thought about lowering the bitrate, so I'll look to get this sorted and I can confirm that all cameras are set to use motion detection. As regards h.265, that is a completely new one to me and again, will look into it.

Crikey, I'm not sure where you thought I would be spending 90 mins a day or even a week - that would be mad. I usually troll through it every three months or thereabouts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All the cameras in use are required and each cover differing aspects of the site. I'd not thought about lowering the bitrate, so I'll look to get this sorted and I can confirm that all cameras are set to use motion detection. As regards h.265, that is a completely new one to me and again, will look into it.

Crikey, I'm not sure where you thought I would be spending 90 mins a day or even a week - that would be mad. I usually troll through it every three months or thereabouts.
thats impossible unless this is a multi acre property that need detailed monitoring...
if you are using motion detection how much retention time are you seeing with 20tb?
if you need to do this every 3 months to save 2tb then again you are wasting your time...just let it be and lose a bit of retention..this makes even less sense now.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thats impossible unless this is a multi acre property that need detailed monitoring...
if you are using motion detection how much retention time are you seeing with 20tb?
if you need to do this every 3 months to save 2tb then again you are wasting your time...just let it be and lose a bit of retention..this makes even less sense now.
It is a multi acre site and the biggest issue is sunlight and leaves in the summer months - this creates a lot of recordings. And spiders present issues too at night times, lot's of recordings there as well. Retention time, from memory is around 22 months.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a multi acre site and the biggest issue is sunlight and leaves in the summer months - this creates a lot of recordings. And spiders present issues too at night times, lot's of recordings there as well. Retention time, from memory is around 22 months.
why in the world do you need 22 months of retention? 1 month is more than adequate...