Export Hikvision camera settings

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to store each of my camera settings in case of future problems. I feel I'm approaching this in the right manner but have some questions. I'm using IE to access camera, configuration>system>maintenance.

I assume export>device parameters is where the camera settings backup file is created. At this point I can assign a file name but it has no file extension. Is this normal?? It will only save to This PC>documents directory in Win 10. I cannot save it to any other directory. After saving it there I cannot move it to another directory, in fact I can't even see the file in Explorer. I find all this strange, but it may all be normal. Am I doing this right??

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point I can assign a file name but it has no file extension. Is this normal??
Pick one of your own choice. There will be no Windows app (therefore a file extension) associated with the filetype as it's an encrypted binary file.
It will only save to This PC>documents directory in Win 10.
That's because IE isn't trusted to save in other locations - a normal security feature for files downloaded from the web.
If you want to be able to save anywhere - run IE 'as administrator'. Adding the camera IP address to 'Trusted sites' also changes this behaviour.
After saving it there I cannot move it to another directory, in fact I can't even see the file in Explorer.
It sounds like it will have saved to the 'virtualised directory' sandbox it uses when security restrictions are active.
By default this is hidden from normal view, and hard to find if you don't know about it.

Suggestion :
Run IE 'as administrator' to do your exports.
Backing up settings in this way is a good thing to do.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. It worked as you described. IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox) so did not know about it's restrictions on locations to save to. I have never ran a browser in "run as administrator" mode so there may be other benefits I am overlooking. I'll do some research on this.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Pale Moon browser

Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox and just makes life easier when dealing with things like IP Cameras. I have it installed solely for this reason and that is the only time I really use it

Take look:
The Pale Moon Project homepage