Exported footage stuck on first frame

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I record continuously and have exported some clips from BI (MP4) but when I try to play them using VLC media player, the progress bar advances normally but the video image is stuck on the first frame. It worked fine two or three weeks ago with no changes to VLC in the meantime.

But I have extended the number of days of recorded clips before overwriting recently (can't quite remember when) by using h.265 direct to disc, VBR, reducing the frame rate to 4 fps and extending the I frame interval to 16 so that I can still use the maximum bit rate setting available for those settings in the hope that this will not sacrifice image quality. Could this be the problem? If so, is there a fix?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I record continuously and have exported some clips from BI (MP4) but when I try to play them using VLC media player, the progress bar advances normally but the video image is stuck on the first frame. It worked fine two or three weeks ago with no changes to VLC in the meantime.

But I have extended the number of days of recorded clips before overwriting recently (can't quite remember when) by using h.265 direct to disc, VBR, reducing the frame rate to 4 fps and extending the I frame interval to 16 so that I can still use the maximum bit rate setting available for those settings in the hope that this will not sacrifice image quality. Could this be the problem? If so, is there a fix?
when you export are you rencoding to h.264 or not?

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I'm connected to this copy of BI over broadband using LogMeIn. Big difference in file size but both stuck on first frame.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I'm connected to this copy of BI over broadband using LogMeIn. Big difference in file size but both stuck on first frame.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When recording are you using 265 or 265 Plus?

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have now just discovered that if I export direct from the camera (SD49225) to my PC it also sticks on the first frame. This also worked OK before Christmas. So I guess I should close this thread in BI but any pointers would be helpful.
Many thanks for your very prompt response!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have now just discovered that if I export direct from the camera (SD49225) to my PC it also sticks on the first frame. This also worked OK before Christmas. So I guess I should close this thread in BI but any pointers would be helpful.
Many thanks for your very prompt response!
does the video play in the BI interface?

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK thanks fenderman, I will. The strange thing is though, the MP4 exports from the same camera before Christmas still work in VLC, its just that I can't remember if the camera was on VBR then. Maybe I'll also try CBR?

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So far, it appears that if I change from VBR to CBR and reencode to h.264 using BI, then exported files play OK on VLC. But exported CBR files in h.265 (reencoding unchecked) still stick on the first file.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello fenderman. I finally got around my problem with exported files. My post in Dahua hardware refers - Unable to export from PSS
The troublesome BVR files exported to MP4 now work. As always, your advice to use another player than VLC was right but I can't figure out why trying that last week failed.
Thanks for your support.