Exported MP4 Metadata issue

Schnoidz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On exported H.264 MP4 videos of over 5 minutes the metadata shows them as 5 minutes long. When I import them into Premiere Pro they only show as long as the metadata shows them to be (5 minutes).

VLC also only plays the first 5 minutes of the clip while some other video players will play the whole clip.

Running them through Handbrake fixes the metadata but is time consuming. After Handbrake, Premiere Pro shows the full video.

Does anyone else have this "5 minute" problem? Is there a setting in BI to correct this? BI does export the full clip, only the metadata is wrong.

Is there an easier/faster way to simply correct the metadata without using Handbrake?

This is a strange problem that I run into daily as I often export long clips. I have 12 cameras recording continually overnight and grab lots of the action from them when I review during the day.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

This almost 30 minute clip is about 6 GB but it shows as only 5:07 long instead of 30 minutes.

Schnoidz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sort of a fix...
I'd never used ffmpeg before. I downloaded, installed and set the path for it. Then I tested a long video with an incorrect length (in the metadata).
I used the command ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -c copy "output.mp4" and the output file was the correct length.
It was very fast and both files were the same file size.
I'd still like to be able to fix the mp4 length problem in BI, but this workaround will do for now.