Exported reg keys, rebuilt OS, reinstalled now locked out?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had some odd issues with my BI pc (kept crashing every 15 mins). I took advice offered here and tried to back out the Intel HD drivers but no luck (went back several versions, clean reboot in between, still crashing), also tried backing off restore points (Win 8.1). Finally I went extreme and exported the BI key (button in gui), saved the .reg file on a NAS share, and did a full OS reinstall. Once the dust settled from all updates, I downloaded a new copy of BI and imported the key. Now when I launch BI I get stopped at the front door with a dialog box wanting a username and password. Unfortunately I cannot figure out what account and password it wants... Any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had some odd issues with my BI pc (kept crashing every 15 mins). I took advice offered here and tried to back out the Intel HD drivers but no luck (went back several versions, clean reboot in between, still crashing), also tried backing off restore points (Win 8.1). Finally I went extreme and exported the BI key (button in gui), saved the .reg file on a NAS share, and did a full OS reinstall. Once the dust settled from all updates, I downloaded a new copy of BI and imported the key. Now when I launch BI I get stopped at the front door with a dialog box wanting a username and password. Unfortunately I cannot figure out what account and password it wants... Any suggestions?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah after this mess Windows 10 is on the things-to-do-list, hopefully next week. I logged in as admin and launched BI with Administrator privilege but I still get prompted for a license key and can't move forward until I click on demo. All of my cameras showed up but they have the demo stripe through the middle so I am still in 15 day demo mode. Any other ideas?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I did not make it clear in my first post but I cannot find the key. I also cannot find an email giving me a clue where I bought the license from. Yeah, it sucks to be me...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah after this mess Windows 10 is on the things-to-do-list, hopefully next week. I logged in as admin and launched BI with Administrator privilege but I still get prompted for a license key and can't move forward until I click on demo. All of my cameras showed up but they have the demo stripe through the middle so I am still in 15 day demo mode. Any other ideas?
you want a clean install of 10, not an in place update...you need to enter the license key....you can try to email support and see if he can provide it...in the future, print the key and tape it to the machine...and dont delete your email...

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what is the purpose of the import/export v4.reg function, just to backup and restore camera configs?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps a future version can incorporate the ability to backup the full key. I'll email Ken when I re-purchase my license ...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The registration key is stored in the registry so it is probably in your backup.

This tool may be able to recover it for you:
Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper) Push the "BI Registration Info" button and it will try to read your key from the registry. If it doesn't find the key, try restoring the registry settings from the backup again.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately it says "Not Found!". I think I am screwed. I emailed support and they are looking to see if they can find my registration info... Thanks for the reply.