exporting video. Codecs for GO

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to export a video with a decent size?

the MS IYUV or whatever it is create HUGE files. We're talking about 25 gb for a 6 min video!!!

someone help me out in how to export a basic good quality video? like avi maybe? MKV would be nice, but it apparently won't happen in xprotect GO. There are other formats though!

I'm trying to like this software, but GO has many limitations and essential is just alot of money when compared to Blue Iris!!! for about 6 cameras in my home, I have to pay 200 bucks for a software or i'm limited in many things!!!!

def not what network camera critic said where the only drawbacks of GO were 8 cameras and 5 day video view! :(

so.... any idea on how to do a decent size export?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What choices does GO give you, it says AVI only on their site? I've been running Pro and Express for most, not even Essential, so not living with GO day to day like you but I'm sure there's more limitations lurking. One thing you can do maybe is export to the best quality you can, then use something like handbrake to compress it to a workable format. https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

I use Handbrake to convert video formats and works nicely. You can convert batches of videos at once from the GUI or use their command line tool to script if you want to automate the process.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have:

Intel IYUV codec
Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Microsoft YUV
ffshadow video codec

I don't see pure AVI or mp4 or something...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"ffshadow" ?

Did you mean to type ffdshow?

Try that one -- it may have advanced encoding options that lets you choose h264 / mp4 as the output.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"ffshadow" ?

Did you mean to type ffdshow?

Try that one -- it may have advanced encoding options that lets you choose h264 / mp4 as the output.
It doesn't... it only let me do a avi. I was able to to a good quality avi for 27 seconds at 147 mb.

now what's REALLY annoying is that it puts a HUGE logo on the bottom right corner that has a white background, taking out 1/3 of the bottom portion of the screen.

the GO is nothing more than a 'demo' unfortunately. the essentials would be great, but with 6 cameras in the house, I'm looking at 300 dollars.

I love blue iris, but I love that xprotect runs so efficiently.... Blue iris really takes up SERIOUS power.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been there too. For me it came down to either buying a new more powerful PC or paying a few hundred for software. I figure the software will outlast any PC I buy, not to mention the additional power consumption and heat from a more powerful processor. For what it's worth, if you can play the video without any issues or that white background, I use a program called FastStone Capture ($20 after a 1 month trial) and it captures video. I used it to capture the video from webcams when I did reviews on them. I figure it may do the trick for very infrequent times I need to save a recording.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris does the job, but I just thought xprotect was more streamlined. I actually run both on a icore5 laptop right now. It seems to work, but laptop is def working hard lol

cobra2

n3wb
Reaction score
What about using camstudio or other screen capture tool?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't found tools that work at full frame rates. I use FastStone Capture and I get about 10fps on 30fps video. I had to use it to capture video from dashcams when I reviewed them to show what the viewer app looked like. Camtasia may be better, but it's also more expensive and if you can afford Camtasia to do this, you can use that money to pay for Milestone licenses, assuming you are buying to just for this purpose.

Just a thought, but most cameras will FTP video to an FTP server like an inexpensive NAS. You could use Go to find what you are looking for and based on timestamp, you can quickly locate the video files off the FTP server.