Exterior Cat6 - Never realized it was so hard to find actual "real" outdoor cable

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Holy cow , interesting link for those looking to understand terminology used by China wire suppliers and trying to figure out what to ask for. I though I had a good supplier and seemed ligit until I read what I was supposed to look for. I read so many with pixel issues or whatever and I bet its the wire, I suggest the wire is as important as the work you do to study in buying a camera. Especially with POE applications there is a hazzard to your house. The link I am posting is for the article portion I do not buy from this company nor do I know if they sell wire so buy from where you like, just read the article and move on to your supplier.

http://www.air802.com/cable_facts_certification_approvals_UL_Intertek_jacket_types.html

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy cow , interesting link for those looking to understand terminology used by China wire suppliers and trying to figure out what to ask for. I though I had a good supplier and seemed ligit until I read what I was supposed to look for:

http://www.air802.com/cable_facts_certification_approvals_UL_Intertek_jacket_types.html
DO NOT buy cable direct from china. Junk cable is the primary cause of camera issues. Buy from a reputable US retailer. It will cost you lots of time and money to rerun cable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only use Ubiquiti ToughCable anymore for outdoor runs, you can get short lengths premade with nice shielded ends already attached if you look on Amazon/Ebay.. when you use properly made STP cabling with good IPCameras is you provide the metal housing with a nice ground. its a pretty good idea for externally connected devices to have a path to ground that dont involve going through your circuitry.. wont save you from a direct lightning strike, almost nothing will, but it'll help save electronics if you have a close one.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I only use Ubiquiti ToughCable anymore for outdoor runs, you can get short lengths premade with nice shielded ends already attached if you look on Amazon/Ebay.. when you use properly made STP cabling with good IPCameras is you provide the metal housing with a nice ground. its a pretty good idea for externally connected devices to have a path to ground that dont involve going through your circuitry.. wont save you from a direct lightning strike, almost nothing will, but it'll help save electronics if you have a close one.
Arrrg that is $1161.00 for a 1000 ft in Canada WOW on Amazon.ca BUt, only $600.00 for 100 heads so not too bad ...need to sell the boat to install my cameras Lol. I will keep looking for a resonable Ubiquiti supply uo here and thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
damn thats pretty steep, man I am glad I can expense spools of network cable without question..

See what JEFA runs you up there in Canada, its also highly regarded as the poor man's toughcable: http://www.amazon.com/JEFA-Tech-CAT5e-Shielded-Ground/dp/B00A2VJR38

also dont forget about conduit, its probably cheaper than outdoor cable if you can use it.. I love me some EMT conduit.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Plenty of outdoor Cat6 options are available. I never understood the logic of trying to save $20 a box of cable, only to realize the costs of troubleshooting and re-pulling bad lines. Here's a few options. These should cost you less than $300 a box. Notice you can find legit data sheets and documentation of all the IEEE standards they meet. Chinese vendors are notorious for putting false UL listings on plenum cable. How can I trust a cable will certify as Cat6 if they forge UL approval?

http://www.mohawk-cable.com/copper-lan-cables/versalan-category-6.html

http://www.mohawk-cable.com/copper-lan-cables/advancenet-outside-plant-category-6.html

[url]http://ce.superioressex.com/uploadedFiles/Docs/PDF/Catalogs/Communications/CAT6-Out-Sun-Res.pdf

http://www.nexans.us/eservice/US-en_US/navigate_307463/LANmark_6_OSP.html[/URL]

http://ce.superioressex.com/uploadedFiles/Docs/PDF/Catalogs/Communications/OSP-Broadband-BBDN.pdf

http://viewer.epaperflip.com/Viewer.aspx?docid=b74d59cd-ce0d-4cca-8329-a38d00fee4a6#?page=40

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those are quality cables.
Those I guess good for inside but,neither of those are outdoor or underground rated that I was searching for. I figured may as well buy a cable that is good for booth if I was getting 1000 ft roll. Should be interesting working with the gel filled as I heard it's a bit of a hand wiper but, I want to run underground 100 ft from house and some in air up a tree.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Neither of those are outdoor or underground rated.
He specifically asked about in wall installs.
As an aside, I have used standard monoprice interior cat5e on exterior runs (mostly hidden behind siding or drain pipes with small sections exposed) with no issues. That some of those runs are about 10 years old.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sunlight is what kills em.. if you keep your in-wall cable hidden from the weather it'll be okay.. Without UV Stabilizers any plastics will fail with enough exposure to direct sunlight, then the wires will be exposed and shit goes down hill.. Conduit is often much cheaper than long runs of outdoor cable when only the last 10ft or so will ever be exposed.

I dont direct burry ethernet cable, if your digging a trench put down some damn conduit so you dont have to ever dig it back up..

All my outdoor IP Cameras are actually wired up with in-wall rated cable and ran through conduit, its just my outdoor Access point on an antenna mast that is using outdoor cable.. but its got a few dozen feet of exposed cable up on the roof.. I tried to do it cheaply, but a standard in-wall cable lasted less than 6months before it failed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sunlight is what kills em.. if you keep your in-wall cable hidden from the weather it'll be okay.. Without UV Stabilizers any plastics will fail with enough exposure to direct sunlight, then the wires will be exposed and shit goes down hill.. Conduit is often much cheaper than long runs of outdoor cable when only the last 10ft or so will ever be exposed.

I dont direct burry ethernet cable, if your digging a trench put down some damn conduit so you dont have to ever dig it back up..
The sunlight has been hitting the small exposed sections for years with no adverse effects...in not recommneding it. Im just saying i did it back then and haven't had a problem. I run everything in walls or behind siding, now whenever possible. I hate exterior conduit.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got the outdoor PE wire UV protected for cost plus 10% and I figure may as well run for everything. I only wish it was beige for running along vinyl trim etc. I had some interior cable outside for less then 6o days and it would not run my Hik 2132 any longer on day but, still ran my Foscam non POE. Bottom line as the reason I started this topic was that I was pretty nieve about outdoor cables before I read into them. Also the terminology that many companies are useing to make it appear they are ok for outside application is enormous. At least in Canada there are specs for outdoor or underground cat wires but, seems not so much in US with I found suprising as per the link in my first post.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Bought some of this from one of my suppliers, qualtiy cable and thier installers say cat 6 not worth it and by time technology needs it just go to fibre optic instead.
For my Canadian friends : solid copper, gel filled and CSA approved and fire rated with a good price.

http://cableconcepts.ca/Cable-Concepts-CAT5e-Cable-BurialFlooded-24-AWG-4-Pair-1000-FT-Box_p_17.html
Do NOT use this cable inside! I don't care what the manufacture states - unless this cable is only going to be used in a temp controlled server room do not place it inside or in ceilings/walls. Flooded cable should not be used indoors. If the cable is placed in an area that is not temp controlled - especially attics or exterior walls - the flooding compound will ooozzzzz out the end of the cable into the wall plate/connectors/keystone jack causing all kinds of connection issues and a nasty mess. This is also the case with RG6/RG59 cable in RF applications and its even worse because there is more gel in those cables.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the outdoor PE wire UV protected for cost plus 10% and I figure may as well run for everything. I only wish it was beige for running along vinyl trim etc. I had some interior cable outside for less then 6o days and it would not run my Hik 2132 any longer on day but, still ran my Foscam non POE. Bottom line as the reason I started this topic was that I was pretty nieve about outdoor cables before I read into them. Also the terminology that many companies are useing to make it appear they are ok for outside application is enormous. At least in Canada there are specs for outdoor or underground cat wires but, seems not so much in US with I found suprising as per the link in my first post.
There is no way the cable suffered any damage in 60 days. This was either crap cable to start with (cca-copper clad aluminum) or a bad install job. Likely a combination of both.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used to use ubiquiti but at times it was hard to get and they had a bad run a while back that did not hold up outdoors at all. Outer plastic fell apart easily after sunlight but they were aware of it and fixed it in later runs. I like it and it treated me personally well but the problems with availaiblity made me go elsewhere.

I now use Shireen cable and it works great for me so far. I have put in thousands of feet, 14,000 feet in the last three weeks (finished a 29 IP camera install yesterday for one of my sites) and I just got another pallet of it yesterday as I'd ran out. Price is good and my results have been great. I'm using it to run Hik IP cameras out to 500 feet with no issues at all so it must be somewhat okay. I'm just using the cat5 cable and not the 6 but I expect it would be of equal quality.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/176-6923883-0549653?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=shireen

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.