Exterior install complete... for now

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think on the side gate I woulda zoomed in a lot more on the gate itself to get an ID shot of someone coming through but other than that looks good.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think on the side gate I woulda zoomed in a lot more on the gate itself to get an ID shot of someone coming through but other than that looks good.
Thanks! With the side cam I wanted to make sure I also covered the upper right portion of the fence. That is the easiest place to hop over it. The gate is locked so they'll have to jump over somewhere if they want in.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! With the side cam I wanted to make sure I also covered the upper right portion of the fence. That is the easiest place to hop over it. The gate is locked so they'll have to jump over somewhere if they want in.
yeah, I have a gate on each end of the house, I cover the approach to the big one, which also covers my car when it's parked there, my next cam will be the front door, then I have to find a place to cover the left side, won't know how I will do it till I get the test rig up, that will bring em to a total of 4 cams outside and 3 inside. til I get the replacement ultra starlight bullet and get my PTZ outside, then I will be at 6 outside and 2 inside lol. eventual plan will be to add at least one more inside.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
be interested to see your night time/IR images if you could post some examples. I see a couple walls/overhangs I would think might cause IR blindness. Nice clean install though!

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
be interested to see your night time/IR images if you could post some examples. I see a couple walls/overhangs I would think might cause IR blindness. Nice clean install though!
Thanks! On the front 2 the IR is off. There is ample street lighting. The side one I do get a fair amount of shine on the wall but it still works. I'll snap some pic's tonight and post it.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The trash can cam begs for corridor mode.
I know corridor mode has its place but for some reason looking at it is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I work in TV so having 1 camera in portrait while the rest is 16:9 is like having to deal with iphone footage for broadcast. I do plan on doing an interior cam this way so I should probably let it grow on me...

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is the the front with no IR because of the street lights and the side with IR. See previous post about changing to corridor mode.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the the front with no IR because of the street lights and the side with IR. See previous post about changing to corridor mode.

Look at how much sharper the trash cam is in corridor mode without all that ir hitting the wall. If you keep it horizontal zoom in more so the two walls on the left and right are the edges of the frame.

Driveway cam would look better with IR turned on and the cam angled away from the garage door a little more. Moving objects are where you'll notice the biggest difference. Go do some walk tests with ir on and off and compare the recordings. I bet the grainy noise is significantly reduced.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I hate looking at corridor mode too but it's the best choice for frame fit and optimizing exposure, particularly at night, in a fair number of locations.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try zooming in the gate camera more like this:
upload_2017-4-17_12-28-20.png

Last edited:

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try zooming in the gate came more like this:
View attachment 17350
Are you saying keep it corridor mode and zoom in this way?

I was up early and tried the IR on the driveway, it did clean it up but I got some bounce back from the eaves. I'll try rotating the camera this weekend so the lights are on the bottom.

What does BLC do on the back light? I turned that on without the IR and it was like daylight but a little grainy.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you saying keep it corridor mode and zoom in this way?
either zoomed like this or vertical about the way you had it. try both. I'm not sure which will be better.

BLC is for situations like a camera pointed towards windows the sun is shining directly in. More useful during the day.

On the driveway flip it 180, angle down a tiny bit and zoom in a little more and you'll probably be able to minimize the ir reflection

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@darrenph1 side note, you can change the cameras event color so that they each show up independently in the timeline..camera properties>general