External cables going into house

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running all my cables on the outside of the house in conduit. What i would like to do is put a patch panel in a junction box and have 1 line from the box going into the house. I'm network stupid so i don't know what this is called. When I Google patch panel it seems they are all 1 to 1. Meaning 1 port for every cable hooked into the back of it.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

DesiJatt

n3wb
Reaction score
You are looking for a network switch. You can plug all of the cameras into the switch and then run a single cable into your house.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm running all my cables on the outside of the house in conduit. What i would like to do is put a patch panel in a junction box and have 1 line from the box going into the house. I'm network stupid so i don't know what this is called. When I Google patch panel it seems they are all 1 to 1. Meaning 1 port for every cable hooked into the back of it.

You need a switch, not a patch panel to do this.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are looking for a network switch. You can plug all of the cameras into the switch and then run a single cable into your house.
There are switches i can put outside?

DesiJatt

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it. You can put the switch in the garage and then run a single cable inside your house. You want to make sure the switch is in a location where it won't get wet, but it still needs airflow so mounting it in a junction box isn't a good idea.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it. You can put the switch in the garage and then run a single cable inside your house. You want to make sure the switch is in a location where it won't get wet, but it still needs airflow so mounting it in a junction box isn't a good idea.
So there's no way of avoiding having a bunch of cables going through a wall?

DesiJatt

n3wb
Reaction score
Not that I can think of. Plus, wouldn't you want the switch in a safer location where you don't have to worry about anyone messing with it.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can get outdoor rated network switches but I'm not so sure they would look great on the outside of a house

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not that I can think of. Plus, wouldn't you want the switch in a safer location where you don't have to worry about anyone messing with it.
I was hoping there was another option besides a switch. Maybe ill use the 1 to 4 poe extenders i saw in a post. At most ill run 8 cameras and that will mean only 2 wires coming through the wall.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So there's no way of avoiding having a bunch of cables going through a wall?

There is. Properly
I was hoping there was another option besides a switch. Maybe ill use the 1 to 4 poe extenders i saw in a post. At most ill run 8 cameras and that will mean only 2 wires coming through the wall.

thats just crazy..run the cables inside...you should have run it inside out to begin with.. and punch out one cable at each camera location

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is. Properly

thats just crazy..run the cables inside...you should have run it inside out to begin with.. and punch out one cable at each camera location
I agree on running cables inside as much as possible but sometimes it's not possible or practical.

I have had to run a lot of mine externally for various reasons.

But now the new camera has arrived I'm looking at ways to clean this up

Most things are possible with a bit of thought.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is. Properly

My house is over 100 years old. When it was renovated in the 70s the owner never pulled the old wiring. They just ran new stuff. Running wire internally would be a nightmare especially for a person that has no experience doing it. Paying someone to run it isn't an option either.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My house is over 100 years old. When it was renovated in the 70s the owner never pulled the old wiring. They just ran new stuff. Running wire internally would be a nightmare especially for a person that has no experience doing it. Paying someone to run it isn't an option either.

Does the house have a basement?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes

Given 8 cameras you plan to setup using conduit.

It will be best to not try to add more points of failure to the system by placing additional equipment outside and/or in sealed junction boxes.

I would try to run all 8 wires directly to the location which you will have the switch and nvr.
Perhaps running on each side of the house 4 wires to one junction box - then to a section of 3/4 emt running in from the outside to either the attic or basement.

Once in the attic or basement you can run the wires in conduit if you like, or strap to the framing.

In the end you will have a more reliable system.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have a basement/crawlspace mount cameras to junction boxes, run EMT conduit down and punch it into there.. you can paint the conduit to match your siding and it'll look alot better than stringing cable around the outside.