External hard drive hub question

FastDrawl

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to make a hub with 4 slots. What are my best options. Or.. if there is a better idea. I don't want any online storage. Not wanting a all in one either in case it goes bad. I still have the option to have backups. And a way to just change out a hard drive.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say "hub" are you talking about an external enclosure? What is the connection interface? You don't want USB. USB sucks for hard drive connections that are meant to stay always on. You want eSATA.

FastDrawl

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes a enclosed hub. All I've seen are usb so far. Just seeing what everyone is using. I'm new to all this. Don't even have my cameras yet. Should be here Saturday. I have a brand new pc. It's got pretty good specs. Looking next for a 4k
Something like this. Then add drives

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That an internal drive enclosure that installs into three 5.25 external bays. Do you have that many external bays?? It just has normal SATA ports on the backside. Each drives gets its own SATA cable. Another issue would be to make sure you have that many free SATA ports available on your motherboard if you intend to use all four of the drives in the enclosure.

You need to read the wiki here before you buy anything. You wont want 4K for surveillance if you care anything about night time quality.

FastDrawl

n3wb
Reaction score
Plenty of room if need be. But they make hubs like that one that will sit out and can be powered. As for sata ports I can always add more.
Not understanding why a 4k monitor won't be better then a non for seeing better video. Guess I need to read up..

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Plenty of room if need be. But they make hubs like that one that will sit out and can be powered. As for sata ports I can always add more.
Not understanding why a 4k monitor won't be better then a non for seeing better video. Guess I need to read up..
You said "external hard drive hub" in your post topic but that is not an external enclosure so I'm a bit confused exactly what you want.

4K monitor has nothing to do with camera performance. There are no 8MP cams on the market that perform as well as 4MP cams at night.

FastDrawl

n3wb
Reaction score
Awe.. I assumed 4k monitor would allow for better picture. I ordered 3 4mp cameras.
Thanks for the help.. seems I need to read up.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That link goes back to the Icy Dock enclosure.