External Mic Added to HFW5241E-Z12E

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a mic on AMZN for the Z12 camera, but am unable to get the audio to work. I haven't had a chance yet to assure power is coming from the power lead from the camera, and I had to splice the accompanied power adapter splitter which AMZN sold with the mic.

The audio lead of the mic is connected to the black camera lead marked "Audio In" and the mic's power lead is connected to the camera's black lead marked 'Power". The web GUI I've tried a number of settings for audio, and the same for the Blue Iris settings for the camera audio. Any pointers appreciated.

Here's the mic: Amazon.com : Microseven M7WP-MIC Waterproof Outdoor Microphone for M7B77-POE, M7B57-WPS, M7B77-W, M7D77-POE, Any IP Network Camera & PTZ IP Camera with Audio Interface -an IP Camera External Microphone : Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The power port on a camera is for powering it from a 12 volt DC source. It does not supply power. To power the mic you will need a PoE splitter and a "Y" cable The splitter has an in and out RJ45. The out RJ45 no longer supplies power but does handle the data for the camera and the camera power will be supplied by the splitter through the "Y" cable along with powering the mic.

Splitter -

"Y" cable -

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope you get your mic working but you might be better off with this one that I use. It has pass-thru power. I used one of these POE splitters and then run the RJ45 to the camera (obviously) and the DC out of the splitter to the mic's power in and the mic's power out to the power in of the cam. No extra power (DC adapter...) needed, just the same incoming POE cable.

Interestingly, I seem to get better omni directional sound pickup from my 5442 cams with built-in audio BUT I haven't had time to play with the gain adjustment screw on this mic yet. This external mic seems to pick up close sounds infront of it better but not further sounds or those off to the sides. Reviews were good in it so I'm hoping that when I get off my butt to fiddle with it that it may be as good or better.

@sebastiantombs - I had 4 of those splitters you linked to but all of them failed (was using 3 of them to power external IR illuminators at the time) due to general condensation getting into them. I switched to the "waterproof" ones in my post and they've been working longer so far. I use dielectric grease on all my connections but it was inside the little plastic case where the moisture seemed to affect them.

Last edited: