Extra IR

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Would 2 x 6 LED illuminators pointed in the same direction give me 2 x the light? I ask because i bought 1, 6 LED illuminator and it has improved my night image but i feel it still needs a bit more light. Rather than buy a larger illuminator, i thought i could save a little and just add a second. Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the area to cover is wide, my experience has been to deploy 2 or more mid-size emitters, slightly overlapping with the advertised beam width to suit your situation. One big powerful emitter may result in a mid hot spot and darker sides. Experimentation is key, don't get in a rush....it may take a few nights to get the best results.

Consider mounting the 2 or more units temporarily with clamps at an initial location, view at night, make adjustments and review, move, etc. until you are satisfied with the results then mount properly/permanently.

Last edited:

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
If the area to cover is wide, my experience has been to deploy 2 or more mid-size emitters, slightly overlapping with the advertised beam width to suit your situation. One big powerful emitter may result in a mid hot spot and darker sides. Experimentation is key, don't get in a rush....it may take a few nights to get the best results.

Consider mounting the 2 or more units temporarily with clamps at an initial location, view at night, make adjustments and review, move, etc. until you are satisfied with the results then mount properly/permanently.
Im not too concerned about spreading the light wider, it was more to brighten what i allready have to get a more detailed night image of a walking target.

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
What distances are you working with?
The area im intrested in is about 25ft away at ground level and the light will about 18ft up
At the minute, i have a 6 LED univivi illuminator and a DS-2DE4A225IW-DE

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd be better off getting the light down lower for more full on illumination. I use 7 watt IRs and, depending on the specific lens, 25 feet out is nothing. I've got a 30 watt that lights things up to about 200-250 feet. The 7 watt ones easily do out to 50 feet.

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
You'd be better off getting the light down lower for more full on illumination. I use 7 watt IRs and, depending on the specific lens, 25 feet out is nothing. I've got a 30 watt that lights things up to about 200-250 feet. The 7 watt ones easily do out to 50 feet.
Just checked and that is pretty much the only place i am able to put anything.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a big disadvantage. It makes the range roughly 20 feet to start with due to the height. Maybe a little larger IR is in order.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you manually set the camera to the proper settings for your field of view?
Leaving any cam at factory defaults or on automatic will not get the best performance.
You have to manually "tune" a camera to it's Fov.

That cam should do well when properly tuned, it's a 2mp on a 1/2.8" sensor, a good combo.

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you manually set the camera to the proper settings for your field of view?
Leaving any cam at factory defaults or on automatic will not get the best performance.
You have to manually "tune" a camera to it's Fov.

That cam should do well when properly tuned, it's a 2mp on a 1/2.8" sensor, a good combo.
After reading here and elswhere, i have been adjusting the settings over time and cant figure how to get a better still image for walking speed at night, apart from maybe adding more IR. The street is poorly lit aswell. In daylight i have no problems at all.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Switch to H264. H265 uses much larger blocks for analysis in an effort to save space/bandwidth and that can effect things overall as well.

I'm not familiar with Hik, but I'd get the shutter off of auto and set it manually to 1/60 or 1/100 and leave it there. Plus adding some more IR will help as well.

What is the model number of the camera? What is the sensor size of the camera? I assume it's a 2MP sensor but size is important. I run my 2MP cameras at 5120 for a bit rate and get good night video. You may also be pushing the CPU, such as it is, of the camera with that 8192 bit rate.

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Switch to H264. H265 uses much larger blocks for analysis in an effort to save space/bandwidth and that can effect things overall as well.

I'm not familiar with Hik, but I'd get the shutter off of auto and set it manually to 1/60 or 1/100 and leave it there. Plus adding some more IR will help as well.

What is the model number of the camera? What is the sensor size of the camera? I assume it's a 2MP sensor but size is important. I run my 2MP cameras at 5120 for a bit rate and get good night video. You may also be pushing the CPU, such as it is, of the camera with that 8192 bit rate.
Camera is DS-2DE4A225IW-DE 1/2.8"

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Model is in post 5.

Definitely get the exposure control off of auto. And use manual mode instead. The try as @sebastiantombs suggests for shutter speed.

Then you can adjust brightness and contrast to brighten pic. That cam also has builtin Ir, is it being used?
Yeah, the camera ir is on 100%. Ihave set to H264, Changed exposure control to manual 1/100 and will see how it is tonight. Thanks!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While on the subject of IR I have a dead spot that I would like to add an IR Illuminator. I do have a power plug on that side of the house and from back of that corner of the house to back fence is 30 feet.
I have a IPC-T5442TM-AS Cam, had to turn down the IRs due to facial washout. Any help is appreciated. Don't want to use regular lighting as you can see on my back fence, that light is from next door
where all the neighbors complain about her bright lights. Trying to keep the Peace :)

1652451837906.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just noticed my Time is off an hour, DST?, weird I have my CAMs, switches, everything getting their time from my pfSense Router NTP, will chk settings.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Just noticed my Time is off an hour, DST?, weird I have my CAMs, switches, everything getting their time from my pfSense Router NTP, will chk settings.
Check to see it daylight savings time is checked, and dates are set.

Even with that, I have a camera or two that I have to set to the wrong time zone to get it to show correctly. No big deal,
just have to check it when originally install.