Extra long drill bit????

Reaction score
Trying to run my first cable through the attic and down to the floor. I was able to drill about 4 inches through the wood but as I was fishing the cable through, about 12 inches,I hit something solid. Could it be more would or even drywall?
If so, do I need an extra long drill bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could simply be a fire block in the wall, plumbing, or something else. You really should determine what it is before drilling more.
Kitchen below? Could be wood blocking that was put in the wall to support cabinets.
But yes, they make long drill bits.

Reaction score
There is pre-existing coax and cat5e cabling next to it in which the hole is not big enough for more cable so it should be ok as this is in the living room. I will try the longer bits! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use a rod of some sort and probe down there, if its a copper/plastic pipe tap on it with the rod and you should hear it.. if it sounds like wood, its probably wood

I avoid drilling into spaces with electrical wiring if I can help it.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could it be more would or even drywall?
Yes, you could have a VERY bad day if it turns out to be electrical cables or plumbing pipes :eek:. Survey both sides of the wall below for electrical outlets, wall switches, or nearby plumbing. If you are not sure and worried, you might cut a small drywall inspection hole in the wall before drilling thru. I would rather patch the wall than fix a drilled plumbing pipe or electrical cable :). It appears from your pic that electrical cables are routed down the same wall top plate.

I use one of these inspection cameras, but it's kind of costly for occasional use. There was a post that recommended one of these less costly endoscopes that might be a good lower cost tool for your tool collection.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Try NOT to drill holes DIRECTLY next to the stud like you have done. You can tell the stud is directly to your right because of that nail. That electrical that goes though that top plate is most likely attached to that stud and when you shove that drill bit down you run a good chance of hitting that cable. When drilling into existing cavities try to drill between the two studs in the center of the wall cavity. Also if you are a novice be very very very careful with a flex bit. They will very quickly shoot out the drywall or jump off a fire block, not to mention if you have insulation in that wall section it can make for a very very bad day if you don't know what your doing.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
What they said... You never know what's inside a wall unless you put it there yourself, and some stuff is quite expensive to fix. Like a flood from nicking water pipes, future fire because you nicked but didn't quite completely sever AC wiring, etc. My brother cut a long in-wall HDMI cable that he had recently installed himself. Expensive cable, extra time to install it, plus explain to the family why the TV projector isn't working and everybody had to live without TV or movies for a week. Fun times...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I got mine a while back on a half price sale. I don't use it a lot but when I do it is really really handy. And technically the real name is inspection camera. Real endoscopes are for your, well, "endo"... :)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I got 'scoped about three weeks ago. Clean as a whistle, if you know what I mean. I live in Canuckistan so they even threw in the fentanyl at no extra chahge...

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Too funny! They call it an "endoscope"

endoscope. (ěn'də-skōp') A medical instrument used for visual examination of the interior of a body cavity or a hollow organ such as the colon, bladder, or stomach.

attach it to a metal wire, easy in-wall inspection.
Or to check if you're "clean as a whistle".
And using an adroid phone, you could document that, and post on Instagram!
But plz don't post the vid here.....

Mufasa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well. Endoscopy means "to look inside" so technically that is still the right name.

The more medical specific term would be Gastroscope for your GI tract..

These are quite handy when you are pulling cable. I bend the metal wire so it extends in front of the scope as a small hook, and works well in pulling cables. Or maybe you can just tape it up to fish stick?