Ezviz/Hikvision NVR switchports shutting down

Reaction score
I bought a 16-port 8-camera 3TB Ezviz system "open box" (at a significant discount.) Upon arrival it looked like the box had never been opened. Cameras were sealed, NVR was sealed, cables were sealed. I tested indoors to make sure everything worked before installing the cameras. Once the cameras were installed it worked flawlessly, for a couple of days. Then I got a notification in the app that a camera was down, followed by another, and another, and another until they were all offline. The NVR ports were all unlit. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in -- still no lights on the switch ports. I called Ezviz tech support, who had me factory reset, then upgrade firmware on the NVR, then factory reset again. After that didn't help, Ezviz started RMA and then informed me that I had purchased from an unauthorized reseller so there was no warranty. I could return the entire system, but since I got it at a discounted price, and having spent many hours running cables to 8 cameras, I would rather try to resolve this... even if that means a camera is bad, the NVR is bad, or cable is bad.

So anyway, later that day I tried powering up the NVR with no cameras connected. Then I plugged in one camera, and VOILA, the port lit up! I connected another, and that port lit up. I found it would work if I plugged in the cables one at a time until all were working. Since then it's went down a couple more times, randomly, and plugging the cables in one at a time has fixed it. Until today... they all went down, and when I started plugging them back in again, they were working until I plugged in one particular camera, then ALL switch port lights went off immediately. I tried plugging that camera into a different port, and also tried a different ethernet cable to that camera, same thing each time -- plugging that camera in shuts down all the ports immediately.

I'm baffled as to whether this is a camera problem or an NVR problem. Any ideas?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried plugging that camera into a different port, and also tried a different ethernet cable to that camera, same thing each time -- plugging that camera in shuts down all the ports immediately.
That does suggest there is something wrong with that specific camera, though I would have thought just the port it's connected to would have shut down rather than all.
Do you get the same problem if the camera is plugged in just by itself?

I'm baffled as to whether this is a camera problem or an NVR problem. Any ideas?
Run the whole thing without the suspect camera, see how it goes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
follow what @alastairstevenson said to do.

Also please keep in mind that it may also be a bad cable or cable connector. the cables that come in these kits are normally not the highest quality. If the system works with out the"BAD" camera for a while try replacing the cable to that camera with a quality cable.

Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wires.

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the advice. I tried what you suggested and found that the system had no problems with the "bad" camera unplugged. Then I tried connecting that camera again using different cables and it was shutting ports down with both cables. BUT when I unmounted the camera, brought it inside and connected it with a 6-ft cable it worked fine.

So then it occurred to me that this camera is the only one mounted to a piece of metal siding. Although I haven't seen any warnings about mounting cameras to metal, I believe it may have been shorting out due to the metal contact. I relocated the camera so it's attached to wood trim and it has now been up and running for 4 days with no issues. Hopefully that was all that was wrong!

Reaction score
It is strange... there's no visible problem with the ethernet cable coming from the camera, maybe there is inside where I can't see? The camera mount was all that could've made contact with the metal siding. We're on Day 5 since mounting in a new location and still no issues.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same looking box but for the 4k; can you give me any hints as to what IPs the cameras out-of-the-box came as?

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ironic. It's not been my year.

I had been running SADP- BUT it hadn't been finding anything. Version 3.0.0.0 - upgraded to .17 which is what you linked to. I'd been hesitant as I didn't want to lose the 'unofficial' finding cameras, not just hikvision branded ones.
It still didn't show anything.

Then I went back into the managed switch and found out... the port I was in was never reset back from a LAG- so it still thought it was part of my TrueNAS setup. *sigh*.

Cleared that out- and now SADP finds it. Now to figure out what this 'GUID Export" is....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a 16-port 8-camera 3TB Ezviz system "open box" (at a significant discount.)..

So anyway, later that day I tried powering up the NVR with no cameras connected. Then I plugged in one camera, and VOILA, the port lit up! I connected another, and that port lit up. I found it would work if I plugged in the cables one at a time until all were working. Since then it's went down a couple more times, randomly, and plugging the cables in one at a time has fixed it. Until today... they all went down, and when I started plugging them back in again, they were working until I plugged in one particular camera, then ALL switch port lights went off immediately. I tried plugging that camera into a different port, and also tried a different ethernet cable to that camera, same thing each time -- plugging that camera in shuts down all the ports immediately.

It is strange... there's no visible problem with the ethernet cable coming from the camera, maybe there is inside where I can't see? The camera mount was all that could've made contact with the metal siding. We're on Day 5 since mounting in a new location and still no issues.
Summary for those following:

Isolated issue to a particular camera which was mounted on metal siding. Since moving to a new location on wood - camera / system has been stable.

@Linda Smith - indeed seems like something internal to the camera. This is probably why you got a sweet deal on that open box kit. I would consider attempting to open up the camera and see if you can ID anything. Also I would consider replacing that one camera with another Hikvision camera as it is clearly an issue.

ALSO note - there has been a number of reports on Amazon reviews of EZVIZ cameras not being fully water proof. So remember if running cables exposed outside to install drip loops, use di-electric get in the RJ45 connections ( just need a little ), silicone caulking to help keep water out of the camera also..

Attachments

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, it's good that you found a logical explanation.
And posted about it.
Which could well help others ...
Totally writing up (pseudo code) all the JUNK I went through to get the NVR connected without a monitor. Not a happy camper.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Totally writing up (pseudo code) all the JUNK I went through to get the NVR connected without a monitor. Not a happy camper.
Hi @Purduephotog

After you've gotten some practice with this, please do feel free to share what you think works best to get the kit working well for you.