Failed capture on camera...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Bababouy and Mikeee have it right. Deeper trap or, if you think snap traps aren't an option for reasons like unintended captures, consider a snap trap in a bigger closed container with a hole in the bottom to allow rodents in while keeping birds, dogs, or whatever from being "bitten" by the trap.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perch the brick closer to the edge.
Good idea, I'll do that and see...

Bababouy and Mikeee have it right. Deeper trap or, if you think snap traps aren't an option for reasons like unintended captures, consider a snap trap in a bigger closed container with a hole in the bottom to allow rodents in while keeping birds, dogs, or whatever from being "bitten" by the trap.
What are you saying...

...then today this failed capture:

Last edited:

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
We had a rabbit that I was trying to catch that would do the same thing. As soon as he would trip the trap and the doors would start to fall, he would book and would be able to get out before the door closed and latched. As others have noted, you really need a longer trip (more space between the doors and the trigger plate

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Putting a snap trap inside a closed bucket with a small hole cut in the side near the bottom will allow rodents in but keep dogs/cats/etc from getting their noses snapped.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
that's better than when you caught a crow! LOL

Last edited:

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was having a lot of similar misses while trapping and relocating squirrels using a similar trap. Something that I found that helps is to place an appropriately sized object under the "front" of the trigger, the side facing the open door, so that weight on the front edge won't trip the trigger. This makes the animal have to come a couple of inches further into the trap before they trigger the trap. A really fast squirrel can still back out of the trap before it closes, but it cut down significantly on the times I find the trap triggered but empty. What I found that worked well for me was a wine bottle cork laid on its side.