Fake Camera feed to HIK NVR

MrRK

n3wb
Reaction score
I've done a bit of googling around, and maybe I'm not using the correct terms, but I'm trying to stream a video to one of the channels on a HIK NVR.

I imagine this will be via a piece of software that takes a video/film, and converts it into an ONVIF stream or similar.

If you're wondering what I'm doing, we have some demonstration equipment in a shop, and I'm looking to add some promotional messages to one of the channels, instead of it saying 'NO LINK'.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @MrRK
interesting use case! Indeed, the no-link is not that fancy to show, but you might be willing to let the NVR "tour", then it runs through all the channels, and focus on one if there is a trigger (but that's on Dahua, I suspect HIK to be able to do the same).

But the good news is: with ffmpeg you can re-encode almost "anything" (eg .mp4 file) and put it on an RTSP stream (first google hit: Re-stream using FFmpeg).
Your HIK is then supposed to read out that RTSP stream. Ffmpeg can be deployed on any linux box (rasp pi etc).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've done a bit of googling around, and maybe I'm not using the correct terms, but I'm trying to stream a video to one of the channels on a HIK NVR.

I imagine this will be via a piece of software that takes a video/film, and converts it into an ONVIF stream or similar.

If you're wondering what I'm doing, we have some demonstration equipment in a shop, and I'm looking to add some promotional messages to one of the channels, instead of it saying 'NO LINK'.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
DeskCamera - Stream desktop as ONVIF | Stream webcam as ONVIF | Camera for POS