FDT cam connecting to China?

FV1182

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all! Im new here and I joined right up once I came across this site!

I am running two FDT cams- one indoors and one outdoors. The outdoor cam that I was working with today is model FD7903.

I access my cams using the FDT phone app, B.I., and occasionally the built in webserver when on my home network when at my pc.

What struck me as odd was that when I viewed my network and internet traffic from within my asus router, it showed some odd IP address visited repeatedly today of 182.254.116.117 and that comes back to Shenzhen Tencent Computer Systems Company Ltd in China.

Given the timestamps, etc it seemed as if when I accessed the cam in-network via its local ip of 192.168.1.???, it either redirects to China or sends out simultaneous access to someone overseas?

Am I nuts or is this a thing?? Have any of you seen this before?? When I open in-network through the cams server it gives no indication that this is happening. Also, I checked in the cams settings to make sure it wasn't set up for some type of cloud storage or whatever else.

If this is in fact happening and if its for FDT to give themselves access to my video, what can I do to block this?

I tried to look this issue up online but found nothing. I did find this site and Im happy for that at least.

I tried to block the ip in my AVG but I don't think it worked since I use the free version.

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome

Read everything in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

What type of router do you have? How are connected to the internet.

FV1182

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks!! I will read the wiki.

My router is an ASUS RT-AC88U and I am connected through my local cable internet company. The cams are wireless to the network.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great router. Go to the parental controls. Block the two cameras using there Mac address from accessing the internet.

How do you look at the cameras when not at home ?

FV1182

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks.

I normally use their own FDT app from the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.akl

I understand the idea behind blocking but what happens when I block using their mac addresses?
Is your belief that FDT is gaining access thru the mac since they wouldnt have ip info and credentials after the sale?

Also, using their app when away from home, the same vulnerability could be present and I don't know how to check for that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I normally use their own FDT app from the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.akl

I understand the idea behind blocking but what happens when I block using their mac addresses?
Is your belief that FDT is gaining access thru the mac since they wouldnt have ip info and credentials after the sale?

Also, using their app when away from home, the same vulnerability could be present and I don't know how to check for that.
hopefully you are not port forwarding these foscams...
not sure why you are using the foscam app to begin with if you have blue iris.
avoid foscam in the future - garbage cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you're using BI, in the Foscams turn off P2P (where you scanned a QR code), do no port forwarding in router to cams and in router, turn off UPNP.
For remote access & push notifications on smartphone, you can use the BI app or if you want to view cams and clips, use BI's built-in web server as you mentioned.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you block by Mac address. It will not use the IP address. The IP address can change and it is still blocked.

Get rid of the phone app and set up a proper camera network.

You are asking to get hacked, by using that crap.

FV1182

n3wb
Reaction score
I read the wiki about the port fwd and I think I get what you mean with the vulnerability.

I just came back to post that it looks like when cams allow an "easy setup" like the FDTs that I have, the cam gets linked back to the manufacturers cloud or site for access.

I found this posted and I think this is what I am seeing with my browser history in the router:

""Also, any device reliant on the cloud some company's web infrastructure that i cant alternatively configure is a no-go for me.

This nice camera communicates to the cloud via UDP. The destination servers are in Hong Kong and China. In case you wonder why an IP camera needs a cloud connection, it is simple. This IP camera has a mobile app for Android and iOS, and via the cloud the users don't have to bother to configure port forwards or dynamic DNS to access the camera. Nice.""

Im using BI but only at home meaning that I haven't purchased their app for remote viewing. Is it advised that I use that app to view my cams? If so, would my wife and I each be able to view the cams for one price for both of our phones?

I did set up a port forward and static ip for the cams bc I thought that needed to be done. Lesson learned. They may not be breaking into my feed or attacking my network maliciously but, it sure leaves the door open for that to take place.

Maybe I can ask for clarity... since the cams are running thru BI in my pc, if I download their app and login, does that mean zero port forward, etc is needed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I read the wiki about the port fwd and I think I get what you mean with the vulnerability.

I just came back to post that it looks like when cams allow an "easy setup" like the FDTs that I have, the cam gets linked back to the manufacturers cloud or site for access.

I found this posted and I think this is what I am seeing with my browser history in the router:

""Also, any device reliant on the cloud some company's web infrastructure that i cant alternatively configure is a no-go for me.

This nice camera communicates to the cloud via UDP. The destination servers are in Hong Kong and China. In case you wonder why an IP camera needs a cloud connection, it is simple. This IP camera has a mobile app for Android and iOS, and via the cloud the users don't have to bother to configure port forwards or dynamic DNS to access the camera. Nice.""

Im using BI but only at home meaning that I haven't purchased their app for remote viewing. Is it advised that I use that app to view my cams? If so, would my wife and I each be able to view the cams for one price for both of our phones?

I did set up a port forward and static ip for the cams bc I thought that needed to be done. Lesson learned. They may not be breaking into my feed or attacking my network maliciously but, it sure leaves the door open for that to take place.

Maybe I can ask for clarity... since the cams are running thru BI in my pc, if I download their app and login, does that mean zero port forward, etc is needed?
the app is 10 dollars and has lots of functions including being able to review recorded video and push notifications...its 10 dollars...even if you bought two you will survive....ios and android have family share options.
you will still need to port forward or use VPN with BI...