feeding cat6 into 800' of conduit

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions on how to fish 800' of cat6 through conduit? i can always cut the conduit in sections and use a vacuum as i have done before. i prefer the conduit to be one piece though. call electrician with a super long fish tape?

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Vacuum trick won't work??
Some small light weight fishing line and a small piece of plastic bag?
An assistant to feed the line in.
i used a shopvac last time with 250' which seemed to barely get the line with tiny piece of plastic bag to the other end. i assumed 800' was out of the question. i can certainly try a bigger vacuum. @looney2ns had you had luck using a vacuum with an approx 800' run?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i used a shopvac last time with 250' which seemed to barely get the line with tiny piece of plastic bag to the other end. i assumed 800' was out of the question. i can certainly try a bigger vacuum. @looney2ns had you had luck using a vacuum with an approx 800' run?
Never tried that distance, most I've done is probably 300'. That was a straight run, no elbows.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never tried that distance, most I've done is probably 300'. That was a straight run, no elbows.
thanks. maybe a high powered gas leaf blower would work better. modify a funnel to fit the conduit and leaf blower. one way to find out......

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions on how to fish 800' of cat6 through conduit? i can always cut the conduit in sections and use a vacuum as i have done before. i prefer the conduit to be one piece though. call electrician with a super long fish tape?

Just curious to know what is your goal with 800ft straight lenght of cat 6 when the maximum allowed length is 324ft ?

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious to know what is your goal with 800ft straight lenght of cat 6 when the maximum allowed length is 324ft ?
dahua ePOE. i will be using 2 ePOE cams. i also want to deploy an access point with 2 POE extenders placed within the 800' run. the cat6 for the AP will be outside of the conduit due to the size of the extenders.

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
dahua ePOE. i will be using 2 ePOE cams. i also want to deploy an access point with 2 POE extenders placed within the 800' run. the cat6 for the AP will be outside of the conduit due to the size of the extenders.
Thanks @trauts14 for your explanation,

ePOE was new for me, I just read the info about this on the dahua site and now I understand…

Eveready day I learn more with ipcamtalk

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assuming you are using Dahua ePOE switch, double check the Bandwidth & Load Capacity restrictions based on cable length - may impact your design or cam settings (see below chart). For the cable pull, recommend installing junction boxes throughout the conduit run - will help with installation & post service needs.
upload_2018-8-26_15-13-25.png

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I would run a pull string through your conduit as you put it together. Or put a pull box every 100' for servicing later on. The vacuum method works for some, but has never worked for me. We tried using an air compressor on one end and a large shop vac on the other end of 600' of 2" pipe one time. You could also buy a bunch of the red fish tapes from harbor freight. I think they come in 50' and 100'. They are coiled up and flexible.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is one long underground pull! We had enough fun at just 200 feet. Needed a pulley to get enough pull force to get 3 direct burial rated cables through WITH TONS of lube. Even at that distance, I put a pull box in the ground about 2/3 of the way just to be sure of success. Didn't end up needing that box for the pull, but was nice later when reworking the lines. Will be watching how you manage to do it with a 800 foot, continuous conduit.

At least yours is a new, dry clean conduit. An epic story at
Using a Shop Vac to pull string thru a Conduit? - DoItYourself.com Community Forums
is an amazing read about someone trying to get a pull line through an existing conduit. That never ended with a post saying success.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not started the project yet. I am most likely going to Install junction boxes every approx 200'.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
  1. If using a 200FT fiberglass fish wire (pulling tape), better tap junction boxes every 175~190FT, providing enough lead for the rod to pull

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
What size conduit are you using? I just did two pulls through 120 foot 1/2 inch PVC conduit, feeding two different locations, one straight away and one with two 90 degree bends. I wanted to use 3/4 conduit but drilling a 1-1/4" hole for 3/4 through seven inches of poured concrete takes equipment I don't have. I used a mini Shop Vac, mason twine and a thin plastic bag for the "parachute". It took a little working the line to get past excess glue in the joints, but went fairly easily. I did that working alone and just ran the mason line out so it fed in as easily as I could make it

I did a pull through 300 feet of two inch PVC with two 90 degree bends in it a number of years ago. I used two LARGE Shop Vacs to pull a lead string, mason line, with a thin plastic bag as sort of a "parachute". Ended up with about 200 feet of mason line in one of the Shop Vacs after about 30 seconds of "full power". There was a helper on the feed end, and we had walkie talkies, so it went very smoothly. I suspect that a 600 foot pull, through two inch, would go just as smoothly with two LARGE Shop Vacs.

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like the ePoE switches from Dahua will be released later this month or early next month. The biggest switch will be an 8 port ePoE. They may have larger switches, but only 8 ports will support ePoE for now.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 4port ePOE I plan on using. I look forward to seeing the 8port ePOE switch.

Andrew K.

n3wb
Reaction score
anyone know if you can integrate a Dahua ePoe switch / cam with a non-ePOE NVR? I would imagine the ePOE switch would satisfy the requirement and the NVR would treat it as just another IP cam, but can't find any solid info on this...