FI8910W Troubleshooting

bzowk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys -

Got an old FosCam FI8910W that stopped working recently. When plugged in, the red LED turns on, but that's about it. No (wireless) network activity nor does the camera move. Reset button does nothing.

I took it apart this afternoon and hooked it up via USB Serial - 115200 8-N-1. I know the serial monitor is working as I get echo when I tie the TX/RX leads together, but when powering cam on, get nothing.

Any suggestions for potentially salvaging? Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does it use an external ("wall wart") power supply?
IIRC, it's 5VDC @ 2 Amps.
I'd check its output with a multimeter/DVM with at least a 1 Amp load across its output to see if it's at least 4.8 VDC.

Since it's only a 640 X 480 res cam I personally wouldn't spend too much time on it.
Right now an Amcrest (re-branded Dahua) IP4M-1041B is on sale at Amazon for $54.
It's 4MP (2688x1520 ), wireless or wired, P/T/digital zoom and has 2 way audio.

P.S. Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bzowk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

I was able to verify 5.18 volts, but couldn't verify 2000ma due to my $5 multimeter. Only use it for motion detection to see if a car is in the garage, so features really don't matter. Most of all, it's just about seeing if I can get it to work :)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two similar cameras, Dericam H502W.
Needed to replace two power adapter (one for each camera).
I had similar symptoms, led on camera was on but did not have network connection - wired/wireless.
Power adapter cost was 10$.
Usually the capacitor insider the power adapter is dead (you can see it is swollen when this happens)

bzowk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two similar cameras, Dericam H502W.
Needed to replace two power adapter (one for each camera).
I had similar symptoms, led on camera was on but did not have network connection - wired/wireless.
Power adapter cost was 10$.
Usually the capacitor insider the power adapter is dead (you can see it is swollen when this happens)
Thanks. Planning to try testing with a buck converter soon. Hopefully that's it.