FI8919W - works via cell service but not on wifi - perplexed

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
new here

I just installed my first IP camera Foscam FI8919w. I am having trouble accessing it over the internet via browser from outside my home.
HOWEVER, it works on my IPhone over my cell service. I am using either LiveCamsPro or NetcamViewer. On my IPhone if I turn WiFi on it no longer works. I suspect there is a setting I messed up on the camera or router. Please help.

Tony

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum!
Are you actually testing it from a remote location or are you just using your external ip from you pc in the same network?
As far as the iphone, are do you have the internal and external ip's entered in the appropriate boxes?
What type of internet service do you have? Are you using a combo modem/router?
This could be a nat loopback issue, but first we need some more info.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a NAT Loopback/Hairpin/Reflection issue; either its not enabled on your router or its not supported and you'd have to make a separate cam config for the local network IP when on your own WiFi.. If it works remotely it is obviously forwarding properly from the external IP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation#NAT_loopback

another option would be to run your own local DNS service and override the external hostname you use when on the local network to point to the local IP instead of an external, or dont forward at all and use a VPN to get into your home network and view the cameras.. those are not really the easier routes to take.

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to access the camera from a location outside my home via my browser. I am unable to access it via a browser using the external IP-port. I am able to access it from my Iphone if I switch off the wi/fi and use the cell service. I can access using either the LiveCamsPro or NetcamViewer. Both apps are set up to access the external IP-port address. When I turn on the Iphone wi/fi and use the same apps with the same config, I get a camera not available message. Hope this clarifies.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your router does not support NAT Loopback or its not enabled if it does; this means if you try to connect to the External IP:port Internally from your LAN it wont work... It cannot work the way you want without this feature.

On your local network use the local IP; when your not on the local network; use the external IP... that is the simplest solution; or buy a better router.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Asus routers do NAT loopback, where you can try to access your own public (external) IP address from inside your private LAN, and the router routes the traffic as if it was actually coming from outside.

Depending on what model of router you have, you may be able to flash a 3rd party firmware like Tomato (which I highly recommend) or DD-WRT and either one should give you the NAT loopback feature.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
alot of routers provided by the ISP (Cable/DSL/Fiber Modems) fail to implement NAT Loopback because they think it promotes people hosting internet services from there consumer account.

vast majority of modern off the shelf consumer/pro-consumer routers have it built in and enabled by default... all the OpenSource Routing projects (DD-WRT/Tomato/pFSense) definitely have support for NAT Loopback.

But the only way that works is if you can disable the routing on your ISP device and turn it into a bridge; where your own router gets the external IP on its WAN interface.. it can be a pain to get your ISP to put your modem into bridging mode sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me clarify:
1) I CAN access the camera via my IPHONE app which has the external IP as the address. This only works if I am accessing using my cell service.
2) I CAN'T access the camera via my IPHONE when I am on ANY wi/fi access point. I am NOT on my wireless at the location of my camera.
3) I CAN'T access the camera from a remote location via Blue Iris or webbrowser using external address and from a different location than where my camera is.

This is my situation.
Thanks for all the quick replies.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are on someone else's WiFi or Network, like a public hotspot, work internet, etc.. and cannot connect to your cameras then they have you fire-walled off only for http/https traffic.. not a damn thing you can do about that as they are intentionally blocking your cameras.. and likely any VPN services also..

most public networks block EVERYTHING but web traffic and then filter the web traffic; thats how my Free Public Wifi is setup..
IPCameras use RSTP for Video streams and there not sent over HTTP.. so if only HTTP is allowed (or RSTP is blocked) then you wont be able to see your IPCam

Last edited by a moderator:

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
ahh, we are getting closer my friend.
I am on my home network which is Optimum. So is there possibly a block on my wireless, cable modem? Where should I look?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nothing you can do about other people's networks.. Your home network is open; you can connect to it... but whatever WiFi network you are using is blocking you before you even get to the internet; let alone across the internet to your home network.

you'd have to kindly ask the the administrator of whatever network your using and ask them nicely if the'll open up access so you can view your webcam; they will likely ignore you entirely... I would.

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry let me clarify

1) I am on my home network supplied to me from my cable company called Comcast.
2) When I try to access a camera at a different location with it's external IP address, I am unable to access it. I am cabled directly from my laptop to my router (NO Wireless).
3) I CAN access the camera via my IPHONE app which has the external IP as the address. This only works if I am accessing using my cell service. So I know the camera allows for external / remote access.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
then its your local security settings/home network/your router that is blocking you.. and you are the administrator; good luck