Finally Installed Hikvision 2042WD-I

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hik1.jpgHik2.jpg

After 2 weeks of testing 2042WD-I cam I installed it outside. I am impressed! There is no comparison to the Samsung Outdoor IP cam I had. Everything is better with 2042WD-I and for lot less cost. My goal with this camera is to capture Driveway, ramp leading to front door, and mailbox. I think I have succeeded.

The 2 photos are just for comparison. I changed the angle of the cam in the afternoon so cam won't capture the neighbors flood light from 2 houses down in the evenings. Any comments, suggestions is welcomed.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Left image will be better at night (unless flood flights affecting that one) because right one will reflect alot of IR (white reflects alot) from the adjacent wall.

Good install, will be interesting to see night comparisons at same angle.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post again when you actually tried it at night ;)
Agreed. I think you'll find the night picture will be underwhelming. The wall and white railing will be glowing and the rest dark from what I've experienced.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Seek and you shall find", lol. I had a few minutes so I searched some of the videos recorded set off by the motion detection this morning. Well I found what I was looking for.
I am no expert but I am impressed by the first photo on the left. There is a 20 year old motion detector flood light which still works...motion sensor is pointed at ramp which leads to front door. An animal must have triggered the light to come on which triggered the motion detection on camera to start recording. Second photo is when the motion detector on the garage was triggered on. I have not turned on the night IR in the 2042WD-I. Last photo is of a picture captured without any light on. I should mention all settings on the camera are on default.
Nite3.jpgNite2.jpgNite1.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two of them with the 4mm lens. One at the front door entrance and another over looking one of my 3 cars in the driveway. They are working just fine for me. I do have fairly good light at night with the street lamps to help things out.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like you have ample amount of light there without IR.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you post a snapshot or video clip of someone walking in front of and \ or up to the camera at day \ night?

A lot of cameras have very nice clean views of static yards, but IMO the value comes in seeing what a camera shows when someone walks in front of it, up close and from a distance, to determine if you can identify a person \ face, not just a pretty yard.
The few cameras I have tried out have had very nice day\night images but when I looked at a recording of me walking by at night I could not tell who it was...or when walking up to the camera my face would white out from IR overexposure....Thus my cameras with a nice static image proved useless for identifying an intruder, which is really the purpose of their existence IMO.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Heckuva nice daytime image there. Please post a night time snapshot when available.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IIRC it's possible to have the IR on but turned down a little. Even a little IR makes a big difference.

Worth turning IR on anyway and seeing what happens. If it's a big improvement keep, if not then... well you've wasted a few minutes.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I don't look at this forum often so the week-old bump made it new-ish to me.

For me, I'm underwhelmed. Not enough light at night there to be running without some kind of IR or dusk til dawn light. Internal IR would be preferable to none but an external illuminator would be the cat's meow. Lighting is decent on the ramp when the motion light kicks in but we don't know WHEN it kicks in. If it lights up when a person is walking in the driveway to the ramp then it's fast enough. If it kicks in when the person is up the ramp quite a ways then it's probably too late. The rest of the scene is underexposed but there's not enough light there from other sources so it's not a huge loss. Same with the driveway motion light. It helps light up the driveway but it's too far away to have enough pixels on target to get a good face shot. And why are the pics 1080P from a 4mp camera?