Finding Cams on Network?

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been using BI and my Hikvision NVR/Cams for a long time now... soo long that I can't remember how to re-install them! I re-did my network, and all the IPs of my cams changed. I can't seem to figure out how to find the IPs of each cam again. Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you!

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually, I found the IPs via the Hikvision NVR webportal. However, they all say offline. I can't seem to be able to get them online- suggestions?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can find my cams by logging into my router, and looking at the active device list on the router.
There are also tools you can use to see what's on your network, but I find it' easier to use the router's page.

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, they're offline so they're not showing up. How do I get them online?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hikvision sadp tool...you cameras are likely set to static ip and on a different subnet than your new router.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, missed that.
What's the ip address range of your router?
I think the most common problem is the router address range is different from the camera's ip address.

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I use SADP, I only see my NVR in there- no cameras...

I go to the NVR web portal- it shows the cameras at:
192.168.254.xx

HOWEVER- my new router has all connected devices at:
192.168.110.xx

In the web portal, I changed the IP of one of the cams to:
192.168.110.100 - but nothing changed. I modified that in the BI software, and that cam doesn't come up.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

I REALLY appreciate the help guys!

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BTW- in the web portal- there's a link next to each cam that says 'connect'. But I've tried every password I know, and can't get in. Any way to reset or find that password?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
are your cameras connected directly to your nvr?

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are. They worked great for about a year until I changed the modem/router out. It seems like the IP may have caused issues, but not entirely sure, nor how to correct it...

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry guys- still not able to figure this out. Can you help? I've been trying for days now- just not able to connect to my cams with my new modem/router setup. Where do I start? How do I find the IP addresses of each cam? I know how to configure BI once I have those IPs I think...

THANK YOU!

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Based on your previous post, you said you changed one of the camera's IP address.

So you were able to connect to this camera?
What IP address did you connect to?

After you change the address, you won't be able to talk to the camera anymore. You would need to change the IP of your PC, or switch to another PC that is in that address range.

You can also try a IP scanner program, like this
Angry IP Scanner - About
Let it scan 192.168.254.xx and see if it finds the cameras in that range.

Randy

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Randy! This is a HUGE help... HOWEVER-
I scan both my internal LAN (192.168.110.xxx) & what I thought the NVR is conencted to (192.168.254.xxx) and it finds NO cameras/NVR. Weird huh? I know the cameras are on, as I can see the IR turned on. I don't have a monitor hooked up to the NVR- but I can (it's mounted and a pain to get to, but I can do it)... I assume there's something on the NVR itself that would show the IPs of each cam?

Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Randy! This is a HUGE help... HOWEVER-
I scan both my internal LAN (192.168.110.xxx) & what I thought the NVR is conencted to (192.168.254.xxx) and it finds NO cameras/NVR. Weird huh? I know the cameras are on, as I can see the IR turned on. I don't have a monitor hooked up to the NVR- but I can (it's mounted and a pain to get to, but I can do it)... I assume there's something on the NVR itself that would show the IPs of each cam?

Thank you!
The NVR puts the cams on its own network, you will not be able to see them...in your previous setup you may have had a cable going from the router to an unused poe port on the NVR...

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I have the same setup- cable going from a POE port to my LAN... my router should be picking those up, right?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have a POE switch or POE injector, so you can plug a camera directly into your router?

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, I don't believe my router is POE... not sure what an injector is.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its highly unlikely your router is POE.
You would have to have bought a POE switch, which cost more than normal switches.

An injector converts a normal ethernet line into a POE ethernet line.
One example here:
Amazon.com: TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet PoE Injector Adapter (TL-PoE150S): Electronics

Adding an injector would let you power a camera without having to connect it to your NVR.
I don't have a NVR, so don't know what else to advise.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So- my last router/switch was NOT POE, and it worked just fine. The cameras are going into the NVR directly. The NVR is connected to the network. Once I had the IPs, BlueIris found the cameras easily.

In theory, I shouldn't need a POE switch now- it should work just fine like it did previously. Am I missing something?

Thank you for taking the time to help- I REALLY appreciate it!

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You don't need a POE switch, the NVR is acting as your POE switch.
But, I think the NVR is also isolating your cameras from your network, which is why blue iris can't see the IPs.
Seems like there is something you need to do at the NVR, but I don't know anything about NVRs.

Randy