Firefox ESR 52 vs. Pale Moon

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've read posts recommending both Firefox ESR 52 and Pale Moon as solutions to the new and improved Firefox that breaks the web plugins. The question I'm left with is: Does anything work better with Pale Moon, or are the 2 solution more-or-less equivalent for use with the cameras?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I ended up having to answer this myself. I installed 64-bit Firefox ESR 52, and the web plugins don't work, even with the previously reported registry change. From what I've read, I'd expect 32-bit ESR 52 to work with the registry change, but I did not try it. The web plugins do not work with the current 64-bit Pale Moon browser. They do work with the 32-bit version. So I'll be using 32-bit Pale Moon to talk to the cameras and NVR, and Firefox for web browsing.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plug-ins
Pale Moon supports NPAPI plug-ins. Unlike Firefox, we will not be deprecating or removing support for these kinds of plug-ins. This means that you will be able to continue using your media, authentication, and other plug-ins in Pale Moon like Flash, Silverlight, bank-authenticators or networking plug-ins for specific purposes.

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up having to answer this myself. I installed 64-bit Firefox ESR 52, and the web plugins don't work, even with the previously reported registry change. From what I've read, I'd expect 32-bit ESR 52 to work with the registry change, but I did not try it. The web plugins do not work with the current 64-bit Pale Moon browser. They do work with the 32-bit version. So I'll be using 32-bit Pale Moon to talk to the cameras and NVR, and Firefox for web browsing.
Exactly what I've been doing for few months now. Works well.