Firefox instead of Microshaft Internet Explorer

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just setting up my Hikvision NXI NVR. I have loads of computers but none running windows. I know it has always been the case that IE is needed for logging into Hikvision cameras/NVRs, but I thought i read somewhere that Firefox can now be used. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I have tried and I can log in but it says "missing plugin". Is there a better solution than me running a machine on windows purely to log into my cameras once to set them up?!
Thanks

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IE is needed for devices on firmware 4.1.54 and under for NVR and 5.5.80 and under for IP cameras. Anything about that is able to use Chrome or Firefox with limitations. There are certain features that won't be available on certain browsers. With that being said....since you have a NXI model which I would assume is a Acusense, it should at least be on the GUI 4.0. Check the firmware version of your unit. Make sure it is at least 4.1.54. If so then you do not need IE. Older firmware requires the use of NPAPI that IE supports but not of the other browsers do. Safari support on Mac doesn't work anymore after updating past 12.1. If you are using a mac the work around would be using the IVMS4200 client software version 2.0 and up.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. my NVR is Acusense yes, and it's up to date on firmware. But iVMS isn't an option (I dont think) because it can't access the cameras directly, only the NVR. The only reason I need to access the cameras direct is to access their settings which I can't get to through the NVR. I am using Virtual Host to get the cameras accessible in browser temporarily to adjust IR settings and other stuff. What a pain in the ass, I have to install windows spyware on a machine just for this!! Thanks again!

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the cameras are plugged into the POE ports on the NVR then yes it is a little hard to access because that internal POE is on a different network than the router. Logging into the NVR and go under camera management is a possibility to select the cameras and go into the login for the cameras itself. Another way is to take your computer and plug it into an empty POE (camera port). Run SADP and you should see every camera along with the NVR. Take the IP address for the camera and enter it into the web browser. If it is an older firmware then run a browser that supports NPAPI. Chrome will work but you would need to run the "IE Tab" plug in.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, great ideas. But I am able to access the cameras fine over the LAN now I enabled Virtual Host (it basically does what you describe but witha tick box rather than hoisting my computer over to the workshop where the NVR is!). The problem is just browser. I didn't know that about Chrome. I have Firefox, I do have Chrome but refuse to use it unless absolutely necessary, I could use it for this if it could run whatever needed to display the camera views in browser here.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are other browsers that work if you don't want to use those browsers. This would be Palemoon or Sea Monkey. Here is the chart for what works and what doesn't depending on browser from a Hikvision bulletin.

1586793098603.png

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's strange. Firefox is ticked but I can't view any camera feeds in any Firefox tab, it just says "missing plugin".

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The missing pieces in the chart above are the supported NVR/camera models, and the required firmware versions.
It's meaningless without those requirements.

Yes.
NVR's 4.1.61 and up
Cameras 5.5.81 and up
Anything older than that is out of luck. Will need to use IE or anything that supports NPAPI.