Firefox to kill all NPAPI Plugins: March 7th 2017

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Say goodbye to your IP Camera's external plugin in Firefox, Chrome killed NPAPI Plugins a while ago and Firefox has been planning to follow since October 2015.

Starting with March 7, when Mozilla is scheduled to release Firefox 52, all plugins built on the old NPAPI technology will stop working in Firefox, except for Flash, which Mozilla plans to support for a few more versions.

NPAPI stands for Netscape Plugins API and is an ancient plugins infrastructure inherited from the old Netscape browser on which Mozilla built Firefox.
Mozilla to Drop Support for All NPAPI Plugins in Firefox 52, Except Flash

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I take this to mean plugin.exe won't work in the near future.

Say goodbye to your IP Camera's external plugin in Firefox,
And this would apply to the NVR also (not just cameras)
Besides not using the new version of Firefox, what other options exist?

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct, NVR's will cease to display video via plugins also..

IE (not edge) and Safari are the only 2 browsers still standing with NPAPI Plugin support.. RTSP is the long standing standard for video surveillance, however HTML5 has no support for this protocol and decent realtime video streaming has not achieved any level of agreement between the browsers or standards bodies.. thanks largely to patent encumbered video technologies.

Basically pluginless Video Surveillance in the Browser is still along ways away.. dont hold your breath for this functionality to appear soon.

Us in the IT world been dealing with this crap for a long time; we keep isolated VM's or machines around with antique web browsers to maintain the capabilities to interface with existing software thats never going to see a update to support modern browsers.. get used to it, this is what happens all the time w/embedded hardware, and its getting worse now that they are putting this shit into our cars and stuff, imagine how useful your CarPlay enabled car will be in 10 years when nothing talks to it anymore.

Mel!

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe Waterfox, a browser based on old Firefox code still supports NPAPI plugins, along with the old format firefox extensions.

Can't say I've tried it though:- Waterfox - Wikipedia

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By design, Waterfox is a 64 bit browser. I made a couple of attempts to install NPAPI plugins and was not successful. Possibly because the plugins are 32 bit and the browser is 64 bit? Maybe I am missing something.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By design, Waterfox is a 64 bit browser. I made a couple of attempts to install NPAPI plugins and was not successful. Possibly because the plugins are 32 bit and the browser is 64 bit? Maybe I am missing something.
I believe Waterfox, a browser based on old Firefox code still supports NPAPI plugins, along with the old format firefox extensions.

Can't say I've tried it though:- Waterfox - Wikipedia
Waterfox only supports 64bit plugins so it isn't that useful.

Pale Moon (32bit version) supports 32 bit NAPI plugins, but it is a relatively slow browser. You probably wouldn't want to use it for much else.
The Pale Moon Project homepage

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a similar issue with QuickTime and my American Dynamics fisheye...its web GUI uses QuickTime plug-in and there are no plans for further revision...and apparently browsers no longer support that...including Apple!...Didnt they start Quicktime?
So I had to jump throuh hoops to move some files around in my iMac to install and force the last version to work on Safari...But I cant use it on Chrome or on My Windows machine. So if I ever get rid of the iMac the camera will be unconfigurable.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a similar issue with QuickTime and my American Dynamics fisheye...its web GUI uses QuickTime plug-in and there are no plans for further revision...and apparently browsers no longer support that...including Apple!...Didnt they start Quicktime?
So I had to jump throuh hoops to move some files around in my iMac to install and force the last version to work on Safari...But I cant use it on Chrome or on My Windows machine. So if I ever get rid of the iMac the camera will be unconfigurable.
Safari and quicktime used to exist on windows too. Quicktime usage was quite low before development stopped, then there was a major security vulnerability and iirc they pushed an update to remove or disable it.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Safari for windows been dead for a while; you might find an old copy of it somewhere but its not been maintained and wont be found on apple's site.. might still work though w/NPAPI Plugins, dunno

You can delay the inevitable w/Firefox by changing your release channel to the Extended Support Release: Plugin Support in Firefox 52, but that release will be EOL'd in 12months.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Safari for windows been dead for a while;
I hadn't used in in a really long time and forgot they killed it, that's not surprising though. Looks like they killed it in 2012.

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Us in the IT world been dealing with this crap for a long time; we keep isolated VM's or machines around with antique web browsers to maintain the capabilities to interface with existing software thats never going to see a update to support modern browsers.. get used to it, this is what happens all the time w/embedded hardware, and its getting worse now that they are putting this shit into our cars and stuff, imagine how useful your CarPlay enabled car will be in 10 years when nothing talks to it anymore.
I've been keeping an old Windows 98 laptop going so I can program some old legacy Motorola two-way radio/telemetry equipment that doesn't look like it's getting updated any time soon.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Safari for windows been dead for a while; you might find an old copy of it somewhere but its not been maintained and wont be found on apple's site.. might still work though w/NPAPI Plugins, dunno

You can delay the inevitable w/Firefox by changing your release channel to the Extended Support Release: Plugin Support in Firefox 52, but that release will be EOL'd in 12months.
For a newbie, aside from extended support release with Firefox, what would be the best way to access camera firmware going forward? I haven't purchased my cameras as of yet, are some better than others as far as accessing the firmware?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like some cameras may require technicians (us) to keep dedicated legacy computer equipment around for service. Oh well. It happens. Tons of places have ancient equipment running that nobody completly knows how it works or where to get parts. The guys that designed it retired and the manufacturer went under. I read not that long ago that there was an automated industrial building (HVAC plus some other stuff I think) running on an ancient Commodore Amiga. Try maintaining a system that still runs on floppy disks. I've had good disks die after a few years in a drawer.

Hopefully we'll get a good widely supported video solution that'll run in modern browsers though.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think its going to involve WebRTC, which IIRC only FF supports currently.. My Company been trying to do real time video chats w/out the need for plugins; We have a working Demo.. but it dont work in all browsers yet..

HTML5 Dropped the ball entirely on realtime video; they were too focused on replacing flash video it seems nobody was paying attention.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll have to retry IE, I thought it was not working also.
I've been sidelined the last few weeks post hip surgery and just getting to fiddle with my couple of cameras(both Dahua 5321-z) today from my Win 10 computer.
So when trying to view the cameras via the web gui Ip directly, it appears I can no longer see the camera's video in any browser I have, (Win 10 box so that is IE11, Edge and Chrome).
They all show black screen with a message to download NACL plugin, (which I already have downloaded and installed?).
But the for the IE and Edge browser it still does nothing...For Chrome it closes and force opens the NACL plugin in up in another window?

Is this part of the issue of this thread or is this something different going on?
Is there no way for me to see my camera video feed in its own GUI any longer?!
Apologies if this is a different issue for a different thread but did not find much when searching for NACL.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is this part of the issue of this thread or is this something different going on?
Is there no way for me to see my camera video feed in its own GUI any longer?!
Apologies if this is a different issue for a different thread but did not find much when searching for NACL.
Running IE should work (but if the plugin is 32 bits and your IE 64 bits it or IE32 and installed plugin 64 it will not work but I am not even sure that a 64bits IE version exists) and to be sure also try to get older FireFox version (deactivate auto-update in settings) and try again, this is a first approach but other solutions may exist of course.

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uninstall Firefox 52.00 , install firefox 51.01, stop updating Firefox, and everything is okay.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as long as you stop using firefox for all other internet use; otherwise your a moron for disabling browser updates.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IE is working for now. I would not disable updates personally. Thanks for the input!