Firmware 5.5.0 vs 5.4.5 any feedback ?? whats broken on each?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys any feedback on updating to 5.5.0 vs 5.4.5?

I have 2142 domes , 2432 Cubes and 2132 domes.

I see 5.5 broke ONIF for one person but I'm not using that. The security questions looks good to avoid the Hikvision XML reset process.

I use
-line detection, intrusion detection, and motion for recording to SD
-email notification for line and intrusion detection only
-push notification to surveillance center (only motion works , I'd love push for line and intrusion to work HEAR THAT HIKVISION!!!!!!! )
-IVMS 4500 for remote playback
-TinyCamPro for remote visual

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
2432 Cubes and 2132 domes.
FYI - 5.4.5 is the newest firmware available for those R0 cameras.
And there are a few threads on 5.5.0 firmware problems - sufficient that there have been some instances of downgrading to fix them.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision needs to invest in their Quality Assurance and massively improve their buggy software.

Features dont work properly, downgrades, etc etc.

I don't want to spend my life sorting admin pw resets and mtd hacks and rather kicking a ball with my kids and downing a vodka lime and soda haha :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision needs to invest in their Quality Assurance
Whilst it's fair to say that 5.5.0 has a few obvious problems - I'm tempted to say that's unusual.
In this case it's likely to be due to too many additional features and some big re-writes internally at one time.
Certainly a QA problem.

I think their firmware is generally pretty good.
I've not seen that many glaring bugs that should have been tested out.
I don't want to spend my life sorting admin pw resets
You are right there though - the 'backdoor' is a pretty bad one. But it's got to be deliberate, for the convenience of some developers, but found by a smart inquisitive person and disclosed - responsibly. Conspiracy theorists may have other ideas ...

mtd hacks
And this is due to the deliberate and misguided attempts to damage China market cameras sold for use outside China.
Not a QA problem - a deliberate and unpleasant tactic.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
re the quality of software though ;

circa 5.2.5 and 5.3

-push notifications for line and intrusion detection just dont work
-latest ivms update you now only get last 5 push notifications all others seem lost. Used to get them all.
-push notifications flakey now
-multiple line detections possible in one release working well taken away in next release
-ivms to set push notifications on devices you need to configure them on the private Lan as 192.168.x.x devices before push notifications can be enabled, and then reconfig for dynamic dns external domain to get working
-ip address filter filters on one ip address instead of subnet making it almost useless feature.
-TLS email fiasco with email
-SADP not finding cameras

Theres probably more but things ive encountered.

:)