Firmware from different brands

westhealth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

just like how some people chose to use hikvision instead of say swann to update their firmware when it's based on same chip/model etc. I was Wondering if it's possible to do this say between swann and ring. For example, they carry floodlight cameras, I am pretty sure they come from the same manufacturer, re-branded to sell here in USA. Has anybody tried?
Guessing it will get rejected based on it's serial number or?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

just like how some people chose to use hikvision instead of say swann to update their firmware when it's based on same chip/model etc. I was Wondering if it's possible to do this say between swann and ring. For example, they carry floodlight cameras, I am pretty sure they come from the same manufacturer, re-branded to sell here in USA. Has anybody tried?
Hi @westhealth

The challenge is really knowing which models are which and finding the appropriate firmware, and hopefully there is no issues updating.

Also, for Ring I am certain they want to more tightly control their firmware and hardware than Swann..

update: remember, many recommend not updating firmware unless you have a valid reason. Updating firmware can brick your device.

Last edited:

w6unx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

You should'nt be blindly updating firmware on a piece of hardware you do not know; it is a good way to brick your device if you do not know what you are doing. Looks can be deceiving (Ask my wife, she can tell you). Of course there are ways to revive a device after brickism.... mostly. You can run into issues with no matching serial numbers and some have encrypted firmware, so not all times, will this work.