Firmware Update

Scottcon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

Sorry if this is a old question but I have HIKVision ds-2cd2032f-I IP camera which has stopped working after a 5.4.5 firmware upgrade. The update didn't complete, or at least I don't think it did as the IP camera didn't resurface afterwards.

I have limited knowledge of these and any help will be appreciated.

Scott

Scottcon

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry but as I say I have limited knowledge so I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

I think you can use TFTP to reflash the device after a failed update.

Search that in these forums and you should get some answers.

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvision USA has released two firmware updates, one of which is 5.4.5. However, they also released 5.4.41 and inform users that you should NOT go directly to 5.4.5 but must instead upgrade in two steps, first to 5.4.41 and then from that to 5.4.5. The upgrades evidently deal with a security issue.

Hikvision USA advises that if you go directly to 5.4.5 from, say, 5.4.0, you will brick the camera.

I followed this two-step procedure for the first 5 R0 cameras of my 36 deployed Hikvision R0 and R6 cameras and it worked fine.

In my experience it is highly unusual for the USA unit to release firmware updates in advance of or concurrent with the European unit. Usually they lag far behind.

Coming on the heals of Firefox's decision to stop supporting NPAPI, things were more challenging. Had to go find my old copy of I.E. For some reason I was unable to do an firmware update until I had updated WebComponents.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hikvision USA has released two firmware updates, one of which is 5.4.5. However, they also released 5.4.41 and inform users that you should NOT go directly to 5.4.5 but must instead upgrade in two steps, first to 5.4.41 and then from that to 5.4.5.
Interesting. I wonder if the two-step upgrade process is in place to allow language-hacked CN cameras to be upgraded.

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would be surprised if Hikvision USA would do anything to facilitate user upgrades of hacked CN cameras.

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks -- but not sure what you refer to when you write "this is the reason." Do you mean the need to improve security overall or the need to allow hacked CN cameras to be upgraded using English-language firmware?

I have three CH cameras acquired over the years, converted to English language, but running old firmware. I wasn't going to update. Are you suggesting I can load 5.4.41 on those cameras from the USA site?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks -- but not sure what you refer to when you write "this is the reason."
Sorry if it wasn't clear. I was referring to your post #6 where you mentioned the 5.4.1 firmware. The link explains the purpose of that version.
Security Notification: Privilege-Escalating Vulnerability in Certain Hikvision IP Cameras
Hikvision released the 5.4.1 version to fix the security issue above.
Are you suggesting I can load 5.4.41 on those cameras from the USA site?
Not unless they are genuine International region, and not just running 'hacked to English' modified firmware, in which case an upgrade would break them.

AdamWu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision USA has released two firmware updates, one of which is 5.4.5. However, they also released 5.4.41 and inform users that you should NOT go directly to 5.4.5 but must instead upgrade in two steps, first to 5.4.41 and then from that to 5.4.5. The upgrades evidently deal with a security issue.

Hikvision USA advises that if you go directly to 5.4.5 from, say, 5.4.0, you will brick the camera.
Where did you see this notice?

Last night I just upgraded three of my 2432 from 5.4.0 straight to 5.4.5, no adverse effect observed. (They are CCWR serial)

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The situation is confusing. Yesterday morning when you downloaded the firmware zip file it contained two firmware files -- 5.4.41 and 5.4.5 -- and a txt file instructing you to update sequentially. The latest version isn't as clear and suggests you can go directly to 5.4.5 -- I think.