First camera install, $1000 budget

Reaction score
I want to install a camera system at my house. I have a rough budget of $1,000, less would be better. Id spend more if I had to. I want to get an NVR capable of 16 cameras with POE, but for now I am only installing 8. I was going to order the NVR through Empire Tech Andy. Can anyone help pick some stuff out?

Do the cameras need to also be Dahua? A couple of the cameras i want to have a decent picture as the shoot towards the street, but most of them are only aiming like 5' away and it seems like a cheaper camera would work just fine

Reaction score
Please study this> cliff notes.
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
If you want all the features of the cameras to work, you need to stick with the same brand of NVR as the cameras.

A better option is running Blue Iris - Video Security Software on a dedicated PC.
thats some good info. When people say features, im assuming that has to do with how the camera functions, since i can't think of too many user features of a camera besides PTZ

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats some good info. When people say features, im assuming that has to do with how the camera functions, since i can't think of too many user features of a camera besides PTZ
Dahua has IVS features, which is better than just motion detection. Tripwire, intrusion, missing objects are some of the feature.

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
16 channel NVR and 8 cameras for $1k? I a just getting started myself, but not likely. 4 cameras, maybe. But not 8.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
does dahua (unbranded) make any cameras cheaper than this?
Sure, there are cheaper cameras but remember, you get what you pay for. The 2231 is pretty reasonably priced and performs very well. Sure you can get a camera for 50 or even 75 bucks less, but the picture will be crappy during the day and useless at night.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
does dahua (unbranded) make any cameras cheaper than this?
Non-Starlight models should cost less because they aren't using the newer Sony STARVIS image sensor that significantly helps with low-light image quality. Fixed lens models should also be cheaper, but you can't electronically zoom those lens during install to adjust the image size. You might be able to strategically mix some of these in, if you have areas that stay well lighted at night (and you can find a fixed lens that's the right size).

A heads up about the super cheap models you may see on AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, etc that have have a "C" in the model name. Dahua made these models only for use within China. Some folks are taking these models, replacing the factory Chinese-only firmware with a hacked firmware that supports multiple languages, and are selling these cameras in other countries for cheap. The seller description for these cameras usually mentions (in broken English) that the firmware on these cameras can't be updated. Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) gave the heads up a few months ago that Dahua is looking to crack down on this by making future NVR firmwares not work with these "C" (China region) cameras, so consider that if you're going with a Dahua NVR.

Reaction score
Non-Starlight models should cost less because they aren't using the newer Sony STARVIS image sensor that significantly helps with low-light image quality. Fixed lens models should also be cheaper, but you can't electronically zoom those lens during install to adjust the image size. You might be able to strategically mix some of these in, if you have areas that stay well lighted at night (and you can find a fixed lens that's the right size).

A heads up about the super cheap models you may see on AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, etc that have have a "C" in the model name. Dahua made these models only for use within China. Some folks are taking these models, replacing the factory Chinese-only firmware with a hacked firmware that supports multiple languages, and are selling these cameras in other countries for cheap. The seller description for these cameras usually mentions (in broken English) that the firmware on these cameras can't be updated. Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) gave the heads up a few months ago that Dahua is looking to crack down on this by making future NVR firmwares not work with these "C" (China region) cameras, so consider that if you're going with a Dahua NVR.

That is basically what i want to do. I have 2 cameras that i want the best cameras i can afford, they will be shooting from my soffits, across the lawn and in to the street. 4 cameras will be shooting 5-10 feet away with sources of illumination at night. Id like to save some money here. I also want to put 2 cameras in my house, im not sure what i need for these. I want something small that will blend in

nvr
https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-Channel-Network-Recorder-NVR5216-16P-4KS2/dp/B07BDH2RBJ/ref=sr_1_23?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1538516159&sr=1-23

Cameras for that shoot towards the street. PTZ would be nice. Im not sure if this would be the best choice
https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-SD22404T-GN-2-7mm-11mm-Support-Optical/dp/B07B9T63BZ/ref=sr_1_9?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1538582950&sr=1-9&keywords=ptz

Im not sure which cameras i would want for the walkways and interior

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera is NOT a PTZ. The elevation and azimuth are set at installation. Additionally, it's a 1/3" sensor and not a Starvis which means not optimal performance under low/no light conditions. A full PTZ camera would cost over $300. Like Looney says, look at the Cliff Notes, it'll save you money and frustration in the end. Buying a camera that won't perform is wasting money, I know from personal experience.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@awsum140, I think that camera is in Dahua's "Lite" PTZ line. Here's the Dahua spec sheet for it:
SD22404T-GN

@Jimmy Forester, @looney2ns just did a product review of the 2MP version of that camera:
Review-Dahua DH-SD22204T-GN 2mp 4X Mini PTZ

Based on how well the 2MP version seemed to do at night (you can see videos in the review thread above), there's some discussion about if this model might be a Starlight, even though the Dahua info doesn't say that it is.

Doesn't look like either the 2MP or 4MP model of that model have IR.

If you haven't already, check out IPVM Camera Calculator V3 You should be able to put in your address and have it pull up a Google Maps of your house. You can then use it to add a camera (like the SD22204T-GN) to the map and it should show you what a simulated image from the camera would look like at various locations (i.e. from the street in front of your house).

You provided some Amazon links to Andy's store, which isn't a problem, but you might get a little better pricing by emailing Andy a list of what you want and letting him invoice you via PayPal.

You can also email him about less expensive non-Starlight cameras for your close-up/well-lighted areas. I'm not familiar with those models personally. The only thing I'm not sure about is if he's back from vacation yet. He has a sub-forum on here you can poke around in to get his email address and stuff.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it is the "Lite" series and will do PTZ. Based on the specs it isn't a Starlight though, have a look at the night time video Looney posted. I suspect that the only reason the views in the driveway are fairly good is because of IR sources from other cameras he has or an IR illuminator in that immediate area. The other thing is that it's a dome rather than a turret or eyeball. The dome will, over time, cloud over and ruin the video.

Sorry if I sound negative about this particular camera, but I've made similar errors and it always turned into buying the "right" camera and moving the original somewhere else that isn't as important, effectively making a single camera purchase a two camera purchase. Heck, I've got one POS camera I've moved around to four different locations already but the next move is onto FleaBay or the garbage can. I hate seeing someone else make the same mistake.

Reaction score
ma
Yes, it is the "Lite" series and will do PTZ. Based on the specs it isn't a Starlight though, have a look at the night time video Looney posted. I suspect that the only reason the views in the driveway are fairly good is because of IR sources from other cameras he has or an IR illuminator in that immediate area. The other thing is that it's a dome rather than a turret or eyeball. The dome will, over time, cloud over and ruin the video.

Sorry if I sound negative about this particular camera, but I've made similar errors and it always turned into buying the "right" camera and moving the original somewhere else that isn't as important, effectively making a single camera purchase a two camera purchase. Heck, I've got one POS camera I've moved around to four different locations already but the next move is onto FleaBay or the garbage can. I hate seeing someone else make the same mistake.

Thats why im asking. It sounds like maybe i should just get some of these, like loony originally suggested
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a decent camera, especially at it's price point. Keep in mind that it is not a PTZ , just a varifocal. I have one out in my front yard, tree mounted, and only use the IR, reduced to 30%, for fill light since there's a street light about 150 feet from the camera.

Reaction score
That's a decent camera, especially at it's price point. Keep in mind that it is not a PTZ , just a varifocal. I have one out in my front yard, tree mounted, and only use the IR, reduced to 30%, for fill light since there's a street light about 150 feet from the camera.
awesome, thanks.

Can you recommend a camera for my interior. Some kind of mini dome? Something with sound would be nice.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya got me there. I managed to get a Annke (rebranded Hikivision) cube for inside. It's not actually a cube, more of a flat rectangle, but if you look for reviews by Looney2nes. He has reviewed a few from Dahua with and without PTZ. One of the problems with a PTZ and audio is when the PTZ is in use you get that really "nice" motor whine on the audio.