First camera setup

MikyP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Newby here with some questions.

Admin if I am in the wrong part of the forum.
EDIT: My bad, please move the most to Introductions if need be. :)

I am in the market for ip cameras as the grove we live in has been targeted lately, I have even chased and almost caught one of the adolescents in my backyard :/

So, till I learned of Hikvision I was looking at Swann wifi, not anymore by the look of things :)
With looking at Hikvision, I am basing my NVR on a youtube video I viewed, but still open to suggestions as I am very green on this subject:
But the 8ch version of the NVR to allow expansion later on if need be. I wont need 16ch.

I will want remote access via app and get notifications to our mobile phones etc. I will configure a VPN using a NAS too. I am tech savy enough for the network configuration side of things as I work in IT. Never touched IP surveillance yet. In the future I would like to wire the cameras to the home alarm system to record in the event of any breach.

Seeing a few video demos I have been brought to believe that a 3mp may have a better night vision reach over 5mp? Basically HIK-2CD2055FWDI4 vs HIK-2CD2035FWDI4.

In front of the house there is a small park, a central area which all the houses surround. I know of 3 homes with cameras already and we will be the next with another angle. Our row of homes we back onto a park which unfortunately attracts access to the unwanted individuals.

I would like to be able to see registration plate numbers in the front of the house as cars pass by, the rest of the cameras just need to view the areas surrounding the house I guess and clean view of a face if its visible.

Currently looking at 5 cameras, maybe 6, obviously want to keep the costs down as best as possible.

Hoping for any direction from the experienced in positioning, lens, NVR suggestions if the one I am looking at is not so great and obviously cameras etc.

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 12.29.10-1 PM.png

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Newby here with some questions.
Hi MikyP,

Welcome to the forum, definitely check out the notes.

Recommend planning to have more cameras than just 5-6.

Lots to learn here.

Have fun!