First CCTV SYSTEM.

GeneralXTL

n3wb
Reaction score
So im looking to install DIY CCTV system. I know mostly what features I want but hunting through the maze of DVR's has given me a headache!

Just wondering if anyone had a suggestion based on what they use.

What im looking for..
8CH DVR with
expandable HD (Not looking to build a blue Iris PC but if im convinced it's better I may)
App for android phone with customizatable push notifications. Such as notifications only if in certain zones.
Zone monitoring
Motion and 24/7 Recording.
POE.

Cameras..
Preferably 1080+
Min 60ft night vision. (I work nights so thats when i need to see the most)

Price isn't much of an issue.

Been heavily recommended on the Dahua systems so far but haven't met anyone with one of their DVRs.

Thanks for anyone who decides to give any suggestions! Il post as I go from Purchase, installation and images.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
GeneralXTL,

Welcome to the forum.
As you might imagine, your questions have been asked and answered before. Use the seaarch feature here, using keywords like "first system", "newbie help", "beginner help", etc.
Look up @mat200 answers, his posts include links to a very informative document chock full of the basics. And the doc is tailored to help newcomers get up the learning curve (a curve that can appear steep and intimidating)

You can also research the topic of "BI vs NVR" to decide which is better for YOU and what you want to accomplish. BTW, you want an NVR, not DVR.

Night vision sounds important. Research the Dahua Starlight models.
Cam based MD outside sucks. To many false positives. Research "IVS", "tripwire", etc. Or add dependable sensors, like a PIR or PIR+Radar.

In general, there is no short and sweet answer for your questions. Lotsa variables, lotsa system & hardware variations.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Fastb

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That sounds like a PTZ turret. The issue with long distances and wider angle fixed lenses, is the pixel density at distance isn't great enough for recognition. A PTZ with auto zoom overcomes that by zooming in directly onto the subject thus maintaining the pixel density and enabling facial recognition at longer ranges.

I would think your solution is probably going to be a mixture of turret and PTZ's by the sounds of it. PTZ's can be a little pricey but if money isn't an issue then for long range, a PTZ is probably going to be what you're looking for to cover at least one position, with turrets for the others. Also, most gravitate towards Blue Iris as it's more flexible than an NVR. However, I'm quite a newb here myself, so I defer to those with greater knowledge.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras..
Preferably 1080+

Price isn't much of an issue.
Welcome GeneralXTL,

Good to have you join us, check out the following notes

Notes which giomania has assembled from a vast amount of information being shared here by members
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

The notes which I have been taking, organized by when I noticed something cool to add
Looking for some advice and direction!

As Fastb mentions, definitely look closely at the Dahua OEM starlight cameras as they are the best value for a high performing low light camera.

I was also looking for a small NVR when I came here, 8 ports only. Upon advice from Looney2ns and others I am now very happy to have spent a little more and picked up a 16 port NVR ( NVR5216-16p-4ks2 ). Would recommend considering that as one of your options to consider, and many member here really like the windows i5/i7 PC w/Blue Iris + external PoE switch - so I would also add that to your list of what to consider.

Have fun reading the posts, and don't worry it will start to make sense after a bit of reading.

If you want to also start testing you can pick up a Dahua OEM starlight IPC_HDW5231xx camera and Power Sourcing Equipment ( PSE - like a PoE switch or AC power adapter ) and test it out.