First Issue with BI - Where'd they all go?

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've lurked and searched and have done pretty good at finding the info needed to setup my BI machine. All was doing fine until the point i really needed the info . And then it all disappeared.

I had a couple of guys case the neighborhood and take some packages. and I had them on camera. I replayed the video, exported the section I wanted, replayed and zoomed and took some snapshots.. and checked them all out by browsing the directory and viewing.. went to bed woke up next morning to put on a flash drive and all my clips were gone. And everything was at the starting point of 8/3/17. The only change to anything was an upgrade to 4.5.9.4 but Ive went through several upgrades now without an issue. My clips all dated back to June. I'm recording continuous on 2 cams and motion on 2 cams. A rebuild brought nothing back. Renamed db file and rebuild and nothing came back still started at 8/3, Drive integrity is new and fine.. Dedicated BI machine. I do still have the video I exported only because it saved by default to my desktop. no snapshots..
purplexed to say the least...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you exported you may have over written the original files.

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I exported one section of a file and it saved to my desktop ( on a seperate drive to boot) . Should be no way I could have overwritten the entire database..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I exported one section of a file and it saved to my desktop ( on a seperate drive to boot) . Should be no way I could have overwritten the entire database..
The database contains no video data...check the actual folders and see if it's there..

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ya, I assumed the db folder just held an index of the video files. And thought that renaming the old and letting it create new would cause it to reindex the clips.. but I checked and they are not in the folders. I also checked the folder properties and the BI folders are dated creation on June 10 so there was no change there. going to try and look into logs but have a meeting shortly.. what I have seen is a whole bunch of movefile entries but the log doesnt tell me where they were moved to.. lol..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What files are missing? What dates do you have?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Check your Options > Clips and archiving to see where things go.

The default, I believe is for everything to record into the folder called "New" and after a while get moved to the folder called "Stored", and eventually deleted from there.

Also,

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everything dated 8/4 video clips start at 4am. Its not saving a single day and everything co-exists in stored ..

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
oh boy that wasn't the reply I was looking for.. THis is what both New and Stored folders look like

upload_2017-8-4_16-29-43.png

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And thank you Fenderman.!! This is taking a bit more than I thought it would..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And thank you Fenderman.!! This is taking a bit more than I thought it would..
well there is your problem...you have limited your storage to 30gb total which is nothing..it doesnt last you more than a day...
you dont even need the stored folder, simply enlarge the new folder and set to delete after the allotted space is reached...uncheck delete after x days, that is pointless...

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok .. will do.. so I can enlarge new to use the whole drive yes? I mean thats what its for ..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok .. will do.. so I can enlarge new to use the whole drive yes? I mean thats what its for ..
leave 5 percent or so free space...note that 1tb does not equal 1000gb...also note that you need to allocate space for the alerts folder since you are using high res alerts...
then click on the blue iris status icon on the top left (three vertical bars) and look at clip storage, make sure there is no over allocation error.

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so now I realize that this was not a BI issue but happened because I changed my 2 main cams to record continuously several days ago.. Before that all cams were still on motion and was not filling the allocated spaces. FYI should anyone else experience this.
All good now..