First time installing outside

PFF

n3wb
Reaction score
Had a Logitech Circle 2 installed outside before, but damn that thing is bad. So after I've installed a few Hikvision cameras inside, I decided to install a few outside too. This is the first of what's probably gonna end in 3. Think I did alright. IMG_20200128_162551.jpg

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
It's ok. Still don't understand why installing camera so low so other can come and demolish it.

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
Understand your thoughts, but it is easier to see the camera from long distance and hide your face at the right time.
Because it covers a front door and a corner. If people wants to, they can demolish everything, but I'll capture their face before they do.
If I installed it higher, then it's too easy to hide your face under a hoodie.
Just my toughts, nothing personal.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
It's ok. Still don't understand why installing camera so low so other can come and demolish it.
This is a comment made here so often and it's so annoying honestly because it is a complete misconception.

You watch WAY to many movies. People don't demolish cameras - it's very very rare. Most people with ill intent honestly don't care about cameras, they are going to do what they are going to do regardless. Also, in order for someone to demolish it or turn it etc they will have to walk right up to it and look at it to do so, so majority of the time you're going to have the perfect facial capture prior to anything being done to the camera. Placing cameras "out of reach" means they are to high and you are just looking at the tops of peoples heads - that's even more pointless.

Clean Mount overall, My OCD doesn't let me mount them with the IR on the top or bottom though, I always mount them horizontal with IR to the right, but that's just me. Also, while it's clean without a junction box I do hope you sealed your large hole behind the camera you shoved the fittings though with something. That recess in the wood siding is a prime location for bugs/critters, etc to get behind the camera and into the wall cavity so just assure everything is sealed up. I'm also assuming that light is rarely on, cause if it is, I have to believe the camera is totally blinded at night.

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
You watch WAY to many movies. People don't demolish cameras - it's very very rare.
Yeah zero, way to many movies. :lmao: I installed way to many cctv systems and have seen way too many smashed cameras. Don't know where are you from but European standard doesn't allow that kind of things. If you need to install camera that low you choose something way smaller.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah zero, way to many movies. :lmao: I installed way to many cctv systems and have seen way too many smashed cameras. Don't know where are you from but European standard doesn't allow that kind of things. If you need to install camera that low you choose something way smaller.
I guess agree to disagree - there are numerous EU members here and I've never seen complaints or examples of smashed up cameras - honestly, see more examples of proper installs than not, but hey, agree to disagree like I said.

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll try to remeber to send you pics next time :) but yes, we can't agree on everything.

PFF

n3wb
Reaction score
Understand your thoughts, but it is easier to see the camera from long distance and hide your face at the right time.

Just my toughts, nothing personal.
No worries, I don't take it personally at all. No matter where I mount it on my house, it's visible from a distance, which I think is the best. I don't want any hidden cameras, I want a camera that's also is working as a deterrent to criminals.

This is a comment made here so often and it's so annoying honestly because it is a complete misconception.

You watch WAY to many movies. People don't demolish cameras - it's very very rare. Most people with ill intent honestly don't care about cameras, they are going to do what they are going to do regardless. Also, in order for someone to demolish it or turn it etc they will have to walk right up to it and look at it to do so, so majority of the time you're going to have the perfect facial capture prior to anything being done to the camera. Placing cameras "out of reach" means they are to high and you are just looking at the tops of peoples heads - that's even more pointless.

Clean Mount overall, My OCD doesn't let me mount them with the IR on the top or bottom though, I always mount them horizontal with IR to the right, but that's just me. Also, while it's clean without a junction box I do hope you sealed your large hole behind the camera you shoved the fittings though with something. That recess in the wood siding is a prime location for bugs/critters, etc to get behind the camera and into the wall cavity so just assure everything is sealed up. I'm also assuming that light is rarely on, cause if it is, I have to believe the camera is totally blinded at night.
That was just a test to see if it were a better way to mount it, but it wasn't in my use case.
The hole behind the camera has been sealed with silicone on the inside. It's just mounted on a shed, so I'm not too fuzzed about it.
The light is almost never on and it will be dismounted in a few days too.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm, this is way off of the recommendations you'll find on this forum. THE RECOMMENDATION is to mount the camera at eye level which is about 5 feet off the ground more or less. That way you have a chance of identifying people's faces instead of the top of their bald head. If anything it's way too high. That light is way too low...and aren't you worried his light can get smashed? ;)

What's the "European standard"? Is there a building code, statute, law on where cams can be mounted?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're mounting cameras so high that you cant get good facial ID, you're simply entertaining yourself. The object is to get positive ID. Sadly "most" people think this way and waste good money on something that is useless other than the voyeur aspect of saying "it was a guy in jeans and a black shirt...." and it somehow makes them feel like they accomplished something.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are installing them too high making them less useful for the end user. Please dont lie, there is no European standard for camera height. Installing a smaller camera makes no difference - the fact that you made the suggestion coupled with suggesting high mounting makes me question your credibility. Using your logic, a camera must be mounted 12 feet high (resulting in a terrible video) so a 6 foot person with a baseball bat cannot reach it... Or the person can wear a mask, problem solved. Or do you mount them 30 feet high so a person with a pole cannot paint them and block the view?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand Zsoldo's point and agree to some extent and have bounced this around in my own head several times before.

Some veteran members in this community need to get over their egos. No one OPINION is right.

At the end of the day, anyone can just put on a mask and do whatever. You won't be able to ID anything in that facet, high-mount, low-mount, smashed camera, or in tact.

If you're bunkered in with people coming to kill you and you need to track their tactical positions, then yes - vision from above is good...but then again they could hit it with a pellet gun, EMP it, or mask it with a drone.

Here's my overall thoughts of best practice to cover the spectrum...my noobness and all!

Visible cams, high mounted and low mounted. As a deterrent and tracking measure, and just different views on what the hell actually happened.
ALSO concealed, or less obvious cameras...kinda like trying to catch something in a pit...you're more likely to have something fall in if they don't see the hole in the first place.

This will cover the motives of most ill intent actions.

In addition to this, make sure you have a working alerting system....after all, smashed camera or face mask, most bad guys will run away with a 12 gauge pointed at their head.

Just like daytime and low light situations...are you just going to install low light cameras? No, if you're smart, you're going to install BOTH low light, and high megapixel cameras together to cover both scenarios.

Yes, this will be expensive. But how much is your life and property worth to you?

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
You are installing them too high making them less useful for the end user. Please dont lie, there is no European standard for camera height. Installing a smaller camera makes no difference - the fact that you made the suggestion coupled with suggesting high mounting makes me question your credibility. Using your logic, a camera must be mounted 12 feet high (resulting in a terrible video) so a 6 foot person with a baseball bat cannot reach it... Or the person can wear a mask, problem solved. Or do you mount them 30 feet high so a person with a pole cannot paint them and block the view?
I'm not lying. I didn't write down that there is a law about EU standard and camera height but were did you see mounted camera at such small height?
From your story i would say that you are a coc*** American thinking you are right beucase off what? Don't get it.
You are talking about human face like burglar is going to come to your house loving to show his face to you. Don't be silly.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not lying. I didn't write down that there is a law about EU standard and camera height but were did you see mounted camera at such small height?
From your story i would say that you are a coc*** American thinking you are right beucase off what? Don't get it.
You are talking about human face like burglar is going to come to your house loving to show his face to you. Don't be silly.
Thank you for confirming what I said. You said European standard does not allow that kind of thing, what standard. You are an inexperienced trunk slammer who is clueless.

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
Not going to argue with you here fender, you install them in your way and i'm going to install in my way. But don't be a smart ass here, and think that your way is only right way.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Not going to argue with you here fender, you install them in your way and i'm going to install in my way. But don't be a smart ass here, and think that your way is only right way.
I think it would be helpful if you could posts pics of your cam installs plus post pics of people captured by the cams. Pictures are worth 1,000 words. That would be helpful.

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it would be helpful if you could posts pics of your cam installs plus post pics of people captured by the cams. Pictures are worth 1,000 words. That would be helpful.
Don't know if you read my introduction. I was installing systems, now i'm in tehnical support. But will try to get ahold of my instalation and pictures.

BTW. didn't want to get on a wrong foot with you people here right on a start:D

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't know if you read my introduction. I was installing systems, now i'm in tehnical support. But will try to get ahold of my instalation and pictures.

BTW. didn't want to get on a wrong foot with you people here right on a start:D
I think folks here are trying to understand what you are proposing and if you can show pics of the install and pics taken from the cam installed it'll be clearer what you are advising. The part about a "Euro Standard" is puzzling because it's the first that I've heard about it. Maybe you meant "typical Euro preference" or "typical Euro style" on installations. We await your pics....or it isn't real.... ;) A "standard" implies a formal approval/rule.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your way is the incompetent way. Lets remember that YOU are the one who tried to be a "smart ass" claiming your way is the right way by stating "Still don't understand why installing camera so low so other can come and demolish it."
Like I said, using your flawed logic, cameras would need to be installed at least 12 feet high possibly higher to avoid vandalism, please post images of your installed cameras and the images they capture, utter crap. You are a danger to the saps you call clients. As noted it is extremely rare for a camera to be vandalized particularly on a residential property. Your inexperience is shining bright.