First Time IP Camera User

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wanted something to watch over the birds whilst we were away lol

For just over £40 I whent for a ANNKE Sparkle 1. Now I know many might think its junk but for the money and as first time users I must admit its not bad. 720p seems ok and I have it wired not WiFi. I like the way it moves 360 degrees and you can zoom :joyous:

Couple of questions :

1. Are you always reliant on the manufactrues server being available ?
2. What security should I implement to ensure no one can hack in and take a look. That said its just a couple of budgies tweeting all day long :rolleyes:

I may have now got the bug.I would like to have an external one for the garden and one for my workshop. Workshop would probably be best a dome mounted ceiling one again nothing fancy I guess I will want it to rotage 360 degrees ?

Outside I would like something that moves and zooms and obviously night vision to mabe catch some wildlife.

For me its not so much for sercurity except maybe the the workshop.

Thanks

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok having read a little more I guess I can see some of the limitations i.e. remote server required. So is this a better punt ?

hikvision_ds_2cd2432f_i_w_3mp_day_night_ir_1130950.jpg

Twice the price :(

Jerry

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First you got to decide how much work you're willing to put in. Without dedicated wiring/storage, camera options are limited.

Basically there's 2 'kinds' of IP cameras on the market

Those designed for people who don't want to spend time setting up a proper system. These usually come with many limitations... low storage, motion only recordings and poor video quality.

Then there's 'proper' IP cameras which offer much more flexibility. You usually combine them with an NVR for storage. Unlike the Annkes, Arlos etc they'll allow you to record high quality footage and set it up exactly how you want. And they're more secure since everything is stored locally and not on a cloud. Some of them such as the one you show a picture of, offer micro sd support so all you need is the camera, a router and phone/pc but for long term storage you'd still be best with a dedicated nvr.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and explaining it. One thing I have noticed about the ANNKE is that sometimes it disconnects and I have to restart the app to reset it.

I will play around with it for a couple of days. As you say for simple P&P its probably the simplest solution.

Jerry

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and explaining it. One thing I have noticed about the ANNKER is that sometimes it disconnects and I have to restart the app to reset it.

I will play around with it for a couple of days. As you say for simple P&P its probably the simplest solution.

Jerry
Indeed, but you won't find that type of camera which could be used outdoors with decent night vision/zoom etc. They are mainly designed just for close quarters.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so looking at the HIKVISION DS-2CD2432F should I be getting the one with a 2.8 or 4mm lens ?

I guess if I want the widest field of view then maybe the 2.8mm one ?

Alternatively maybe I should look at one of these

hikvision-2015-v5-3-3-ds-2cd2335-i-replace.jpg

So much choice :)

Jerry

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so looking at the HIKVISION DS-2CD2432F should I be getting the one with a 2.8 or 4mm lens ?

I guess if I want the widest field of view then maybe the 2.8mm one ?

Alternatively maybe I should look at one of these

View attachment 8213
So much choice :)

Jerry
I'd say 4mm is the more popular choice as it gives a good balance. With a wider field of view, more distant objects will have less detail. It can be difficult choosing the right lens, if the camera is to be put in a small room or located near the place you're trying to watch, then definitely go with the 2.8mm.

Just a tip.. for Hikvision cameras, if you see F in the title, it means you can add an SD card. W = wifi, I = infared, S = microphone and alarm

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks I really appreciate the replies being very new to this.

Jerry

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
£190 for a Huisun... get it from aliexpress if you want one of those, that's crazy.

DS-2CD2432WD-I I still like. If you want something fixed and 4MP and easy to setup with Hikvision then it's hard to argue with that.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
£190 for a Huisun... get it from aliexpress if you want one of those, that's crazy.

DS-2CD2432WD-I I still like. If you want something fixed and 4MP and easy to setup with Hikvision then it's hard to argue with that.
I am still playing around with internal cameras at the moment. It will be a while until I look for something outside. I must admit that model would be a contender but as you say I would be looking to source it at a lower price. I still like the idea of initially playing with something inside with full movement. This seems like another cheaper one with a better interface and higher resolution.

http://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-ProHD-Wireless-Security-Camera/dp/B0145OQTPG

I see there is already a post on the Amcrest ProHd 1080p.

The ANNKE can go back to amazon, as will this if I am not hapy with it :rolleyes:

Jerry

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get rid of the ANNKER for sure. If you want an indoor camera then the DS-2CD2432F-IW is a no brainer in my eyes.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks that will probably be my final choice if I am not happy with the Amcrest. The DS-2CD2432F-IW is a static camera and I want to play around with one that pans up down left right etc.

Part of the fun messing around.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok Amcrest PROHD turned up. Its a little smaller and does not have the big ariel on the back. The IRs are also set flush behind a glass surround and not like buldging leds on the ANNKE. Also has a line in and line out over and above the ANNKE. I have to say this is a whole step up. Problem is when you see a 1080p picture the 720p picture looks poor next to it.

To give you some idea here are two snap shots

First the ANNKE

24895285496_06e082148c_o.jpg

Next the AMCREST

24895286146_98bf58d289_o.jpg

The software management of the device is also streaks ahead of the ANNKE. I have not played around with any of the settings for thew picture yet. The AMCREST has more features to save to other destinations including NAS which should be good for my Synology. Seems to save its pictures in BMP format and I cant seem to change that. The ANNKE saves to JPEG. I have converted the BMP here to JPEG to compare like with like.

Since getting the first camera I have discovered how to connect directly to the devices via my browser so can now use my Mac rather than the apps on the iPhone and Ipad. I need to try the app pn the AMCREST but again it seems better than the one that came with the ANNKE. The PTZ, if thats what it is called, is alot smoother on the AMCREST as well.

Having said all that this it s over twice the price of the ANNKE unit.

Maybe I should move this over to the AMCREST thread.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I read that on the other thread thanks. Certainly seems much more comprehensive :)

Jerry

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got remote access working with the app using p2p. On the smaller (been using the browser on my iMac) iPhone and iPad screen its crystal clear. Very nice :)

Am I right in thinking this goes through a cloud server ?

Been trying to read through the manual and it seems there are various optionsto connect remotely as I dont really want to go through any third party server ?

Sorry this is all new to me.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just hung it from the ceiling and get 360 degrees vision round the room lol

I am having a blast!

Jerry