Fisheye cam low light limitations

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems most fisheye/360 cams do not do well in low light environments based on what I have read. Physically, why is that? What prevents them from performing well in low light?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the tiny aperture that is required for ultra-wide angle entirely destroys low light performance.. since they are only appropriate for use indoors, its typically not that much of a problem.

same problem with pinhole cameras; they suck hard in low light conditions too.. larger the aperture the more light it can gather.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks. With the exponential growth of technology it would be great to see a low light fisheye at a reasonable price point.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why? in practice fisheye cameras are virtually worthless.. you cant have ultra wide angle cameras and reasonable detail, even with 4k resolution.

they are a niche product; mounted in high density on ceilings in retail environments to prevent shoplifting.. outside they are entirely worthless until someone gets within a few feet.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tech needs to produce what I mentioned with great pic/vid details. Basically take all good features from a solid existing cam and make them operable and good in a fisheye version.....For areasonable price.
It is probably a pipe dream.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not technology; its physics.. the optics are the problem not the technology.. I suppose if they become 100x more sensitive the'll be okay, but still worse than the non-fisheye variants.

you can do multi-sensors, here's an outdoor 180 degree pano camera with no fisheyeing.. its 3x6mm 2MP cameras in one chassis: IPC-PFW8601-A180 | Dahua Technology

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3 exmor sensors is solid. Is that a new cam? The "interwebs" did not have much info. You happen to know approx price?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah its a new cam, iirc it was ~$650USD when I inquired about it..

I wish it provided 3x1080p streams instead of a single 4k wide stream though.