Fixed: OpenVPN - Blue Iris iPhone App Won't Connect - UI3 works fine

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OpenVPN - Blue Iris iPhone App Won't Connect - UI3 works fine via Safari browser. Are there other ports to open from the VPN to BlueIris other than the web server port? Been futzing with this for hours. OpenVPN working fine otherwise. I can access all LAN resources other than BlueIris app. Very frustrated.

Update: fix was set WAN IP to LAN IP! (more details below)

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris only listens on the one port, so if UI3 works then the app should work. Triple check for typos in the address or port number you've entered.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does the Blue Iris iPhone App work when you are on your homes WiFi? If so is the ip the same in the Blue Iris iPhone App for both LAN and WAN, they should be for VPN?

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the Blue Iris iPhone App work when you are on your homes WiFi? If so is the ip the same in the Blue Iris iPhone App for both LAN and WAN, they should be for VPN?
Yes, works on Wifi no problem. LAN is internal IP, WAN is the public IP. Tried to manually change the WAN to LAN address. Didn't seem to do anything. Then few minutes later the automatic refresh changed it back to WAN IP.

mossytrees

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having the same problem starting sometime in the last week or so. I'm currently on the iOS app version 1.60.02 and BlueIris 4.7.6.1 x64.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fixed!!!!!!!!!! I think the issue was I was connecting to LTE on my iPhone via cellular booster at my house. While at another location, I can connect via BlueIris app without issue. Just my theory. Went to go grab Console logs via Apple Configurator 2 and didn't need the logs haha.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I had also opened port 81 from any non-WAN interface to my Blue Iris IP (not sure if that did anything and haven't tested removing it). Port 81 from Safari on iOS was working before but not BlueIris app. Now both work. Anyone else seen this issue? Having it on another network/device.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok easiest fix ever. Changed the WAN IP in Web Server settings to match the LAN IP. Also unchecked "Refresh external IP at startup and again every" and then went in to the Blue Iris app and check marked the box "Lookup at each login" in the connection properties.