Flaky Camera

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris monitoring a number of cameras but one brand gives me issues regardless of the configuration in BlueIris. The DBPower C754 is pretty much junk over WiFi so I have tried using each of the streams and regardless of which one, I typically get a RTSP: 453 Not Enough Bandwidth message. As it turns out, the camera is still powered on and I can actually view the stream configured in Blue Iris but I do know the network connection is flaky so I'll see ping times from 5ms to 1500ms all day long. What I usually do is log into the camera and reboot the camera...fixes it for a little while and goes back to the same thing.

My question is this...what settings, if any, can I tweak in Blue Iris to re-engage the camera automatically when the network latency calms down? I suppose the other question may be can I simply increase the tolerance settings for camera response? Either way, I will be replacing the camera (and sending the 3 C754 cameras I bought back to DBPower with a not so pleasant letter. For the record, my FOSCAM and Amcrest cameras wireless or PoE all work flawlessly. When the problems happen with the DBPower, it is still responding on the network, just apparently hits a blip that takes it down in Blue Iris.

Any help is appreciated.

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have it configured but I don't think the camera ever gets a reboot signal or the application never picks the camera stream back up. Are there some recommended settings in that screen for my scenario?

- - - Updated - - -

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it may not be able to reboot the camera...try increasing the receive buffer to 20mb..its in video configuration.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Still failed and went offline by the Blue Iris standards but the camera was still accessible via a web browser...a camera reboot manually brought Blue Iris back online for this camera.
You can try emailing support, the cameras use different protocols for stream to BI than stream via browser...

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah...I don't think the reliability of this particular camera is helping matters at all. All 7 other cameras are working just fine between a Swann, a couple of Foscams and a couple of Amcrest so my best bet may be to replace the camera. I would PoE connect it but unlike the Amcrest, it doesn't seem to be totally 802.3af compliant therefore I don't want to run a power cord and Ethernet for an unreliable device.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ditch it, if the device cannot be relied on then murphy's law will come into full force.. ie, the camera was not recording when it was needed most.

when it comes to security, reliability needs to be basically 100%.. because Murphy's a bitch like that.

but despite saying all that, a 802.3af to 12v splitter available off amazon for like $10 would power the camera w/out running 2 wires.. but now you have another piece of hardware in the equation and Murphy just loves that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Exactly...and nobody should claim PoE compliance if they are bending the specs. Why would I go PoE only to have to add another device to make up for that shortcoming. My Amcrest cameras work fine directly with the PoE switch...time for a new Amcrest camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly...and nobody should claim PoE compliance if they are bending the specs. Why would I go PoE only to have to add another device to make up for that shortcoming. My Amcrest cameras work fine directly with the PoE switch...time for a new Amcrest camera.
Fyi Amcrest rebrands dahua cameras.

You can get better design options like turrerts from dahua