Floodlight useful on ADC2W?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to put a camera on my back gate (again) looking outward. It'll go here, where I had my previous camera, and where I have a run of Ethernet:

You can see the view from the previously-installed camera (Amcrest IP5M T1179EW 28MM), here:

I'm considering using a $70 ADC2W for this, so that I get a motion-triggered floodlight, both for its deterrent value as well as to light up the area for my tenant who comes through here at night en route to the guest house.

Is the floodlight going to be blinding at that height and location? Is the motion trigger adjustable? If I end up not liking the built-in floodlight, is there a known hack to have the motion trigger an external floodlight?

I see some discussion from earlier this year about the ADC2W on BI. Is that still current? Does it still work on BI?

Thanks!

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah, I just now saw that this is NOT a POE camera. It might not even be an Ethernet camera. And Amcrest is giving out conflicting information about this. From their product PDF at amcrest.com:

This device operates on either a Wi-Fi connection or direct connection to your network with an Ethernet cable. This is not a power over ethernet (PoE) device and will require a 5V, 2.0A USB power connection to function.
but that same manual shows no photos of the power input nor any Ethernet jack/cable. And then Amcrest representatives answered a question in the amazon Q&A with:

Q: Want to make sure this camera has an ethernet/lan port - the tech specs don't mention anything about it?
A: There is no Ethernet port on the wire lead coming off of this camera to create a LAN.

Amcrest Team
By Amcrest on September 20, 2019
and:

Q: the answers on the lan port are confusing - amcrest answered twice there's a lan port then recently said no - which is it?
A: No, Ethernet Port is available on this device. - Amcrest Team
By Amcrest on September 21, 2019
^^ this is very confusing, and I'm not sure whether that's a yes or a no.

and then:

Q: Does the cable plug into the camera so i can pass it through the old cable tv access?
A: No, the camera's wire lead has a power port adapter (5 Volt) and an Ethernet port to run a LAN. It doesn't allow TV Access at this time.

Amcrest Team
By Amcrest on September 16, 2019
and finally:

Q: can i hook it to an eithernet switch or just wifi?
A: Not at this time. Please click on this link for a good robust outdoor WiFi Camera that you can connect to an Ethernet Cable running a LAN. - .

Amcrest Team see less
By Amcrest on December 8, 2020
I think the verdict is "no Ethernet," and certainly "no POE," which are dealbreakers for me.

Anyone know of a POE camera with motion-triggered floodlight that's not horribly expensive? I need one for myself and one as a Christmas gift for my brother.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are 2 version of ADC2W camera. One is WiFi and the other is battery powered. I got a WiFi version and to be honest is not that good of a camera.

Picture quality is only 1080P.

Two-Way Audio not always work.

Built-in Siren Alarm not loud at all.

WiFi strength also not very strong unless is right next to your router.

Spotlight is not that bright, it's mainly for the camera to record in color at night.

And you can't view the camera from the ASP verison 2. Only only Version 1 still works.

ADC2W is one of the mistake cameras I bought.:(

Last edited: