Focus Distance & other questions

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been reading for a few weeks now, and am leaning toward the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z as my first camera to get a feel for how it all works and determine focal lengths for the other cameras. There are a few things I'm not certain about and hope to get a bit of feedback on before I pull the trigger:

• The cliff notes description mentions the 'identify' distance as 5m on the 'W' (wide?) setting. I'm working with two choke points, one 3.6m and the other 2m where I want to identify a specific person. Should I read that description as 5m or less, or is identification mostly possible only at the 5m distance?
  • These two cameras are going to be used in an 'urban jungle'. The hallways outside the doors are lit by florescent lights, and the distances short (as above). Am I wasting money buying the 2MP starlight cameras? If so, what recommendations would you make for this situation?
  • Given those florescent lights (between camera and identification zone), how likely is it the starlight cameras will be 'blinded'? I may not be able to shield the cameras from the light.
Cheers