For those who have a Micro Center nearby

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really a good deal as its only 4 port (5th port for uplink in 99% of config/use cases) as well as just 10/100. You can find 8 port TP link GB switches for $20-$25.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably the best deal I could get out of a local box store, I love having a Microcenter just down the street.. but yeah, most of the time you can beat Microcenter buying online and I use it mostly for emergency repairs.. but when they have stuff on sale/blowout it rivals any price you'll find online.

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They're about an hour and a half away for me, still handy to have near(ish) for emergencies and all.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
We have a Fry's near me and that is the local go to for emergencies. Seriously I don't know how they stay in business with such a warehouse type store that carries everything. But it's nice knowing if a need a resistor for wiring an alarm, a pack of gum, case of water and Mt. Dew, some toys for the kids, and any computer part known to man kind I can go to one store and get it all. However, with Amazon next day delivery for so many items in my area because of an Amazon warehouse 30 min. away it's getting harder and harder to even justify the trip to Fry's. Example: I ordered a RasPi3 kit last week on Friday Night at like 11pm and had it mid day Saturday for $55 and I didn't even have to leave the house :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
UK is a case scenario, one grocery store started offering online delivery of groceries.. then all the rest had to offer it to compete, and now its killing the box stores and they have no way out as everyone moves to get groceries delivered.. grocery stores hate it and would take it all back if they could.

used to be 90% of the transportation cost was the last mile delivery and we took that upon our selves, now w/warehouse automation and upcoming automated delivery capabilities its gonna change our cities quite a bit I suspect; think of all the acres of parking lots that'll soon be reclaimed and repurposed and giant parks we can make of those defunct malls.. gonna be painfull but its progress.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not really a good deal as its only 4 port (5th port for uplink in 99% of config/use cases) as well as just 10/100. You can find 8 port TP link GB switches for $20-$25.
Where can you find them that cheap?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably the best deal I could get out of a local box store, I love having a Microcenter just down the street.. but yeah, most of the time you can beat Microcenter buying online and I use it mostly for emergency repairs.. but when they have stuff on sale/blowout it rivals any price you'll find online.
Plus they match Amazon, If it's in stock

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Where can you find them that cheap?
Our local Fry's store has a descent selection of TP Link, Trendnet and D-Link for sub $25 on both 5-port and 8-port gigabit. The 8 port for that cheap are normally the GREENnet energy efficient switches so I stay clear of them, however here are a few.

Fry's Electronics |
Netgear SOHO 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS308-100PAS) *Frys.com Only
TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D)
Trendnet TEG-S81g 8-Port Giabit GREENnet Switch
TP-LINK 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch

Amazon can obviously save you a few bucks, but normally it's only $3 savings or so over Fry's on these items so I just run up the street and grab them locally. I will also say that the one thing I like about Trendnet is that the ports are on the back with the activity lights on the front, so placing them in small spaces or ontop of something in a mini rack keeps things clean and allows quick view of connection activity.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
They are not Poe though
You are correct, totally missed that, thats what I get for not expanding the spec tab originally. However, I would still pass with the 10/100 limitation, but thats just me. If you needed this for only cameras and nothing else it is a deal if you have a store locally. I personally don't purchase anything that isn't gigabit, but thats also because I'm on Fiber to the home service with symmetrical gigabit up/down so any hardware thats only 10/100 limits my devices that would sit behind it.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wtf that is cheap as fuck.
4 port PoE costs 50€+ here.
You will not need more than 100MBit/s for 4 IPCameras.
Or are you really planning to push more than 25 MBit/s per camera? (Good luck)

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was in overland park today so I bought two of them. Had to go to work when I got home so we will see how they do.